Thirty-Six

Since the end of last weekend, I've spoken to Karl every day. I mean every day. It's almost like we're inseparable or something. Who am I kidding? We're definitely inseparable. We talk through during spare moment we have. And tonight, I finally get to see him again. The weeks feel like they're just getting longer and longer.

"Hey Ava," Michael greeted as he walked up to my desk.

"Hi Michael, Ashton is in his office if you'd like to go in," I smiled.

"Thank you," Michael smiled, "you look happy lately, it looks good on you."

"Thank you."

I was reading through a last minute case that was dropped off to me when I noticed my favorite head of brown hair walk in the front doors from over the top of my computer screen.

"Hi beautiful," Karl smiled as he walked up to my desk.

"Hi, you're here early," I smiled.

"I know, it was the goal for today," Karl insisted proud of himself, "I wanted to be able to pick you up from work, so I left early to get to your place and then I took an Uber here."

"You're sweet, but I'm not quite done yet," I apologized.

"That's okay, is it alright if I stay to sit with you?" Karl asked.

"Of course," I smiled, "I'd like that."

I grabbed another chair and set it close by my desk for Karl to sit in. He rested his hand on my knee as I got back to work. I had a few more cases to review until I was done with everything for the weekend. I knew that I would at least be most of the way through them before Ashton left, so hopefully Karl and I can leave here on time.

"Have a nice weekend Avalon," Ashton smiled as he walked out of his office, and then he noticed Karl, "pretty boy?"

"Please don't call him that," I groaned, "Mr. Irwin, this is Karl. Karl, this is Ashton Irwin, my boss."

Karl rose an eyebrow at me as he tried to stop himself from laughing at what Ashton had called him. I watched as he stood up and reached his hand out to Ashton to shake his hand.

Michael cleared his throat, waiting for me to introduce Karl to him as well.

"And this is Michael Clifford, one of Mr. Irwin's friends," I introduced.

Karl shook his hand as well before he sat back down next to me in his chair.

"Have a great weekend," Ashton smirked.

"Thank you, we will," I sassed at him sarcastically.

"Take care of her pretty boy, she's a good one and she held out for you, that must make you pretty special," Ashton instructed Karl before he winked at me.

"I will," Karl promised.

Ashton and Michael left, leaving Karl and I alone.

"Pretty boy?" Karl asked.

"Ugh I know," I groaned, "Ashton just started calling you that after the night where I drunk called you. And even though I've told him your name multiple times he just keeps calling you that, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I've had plenty of worse nicknames," Karl laughed, "as long as Chris doesn't start calling me pretty boy, I don't mind."

I laughed, shaking my head, going back to my work to finish it up for the weekend. As soon as I was done, we could leave and get to our weekend together. I had been looking forward to this weekend since our lunch date two weeks ago, just like come Tuesday morning, I'll be looking forward to the next weekend we'll have together. I will continue to do that until we have more than just weekends.