Forty-One

I fussed over my eyeliner for the fifth time, finally giving up and decided it was as even as I was possibly going to be able to get it. I was just so nervous about this date that I couldn't steady my hands.

"Ava," Bailey called through the bathroom door after he knocked, "are you almost ready? Karl just got back and he's downstairs."

"Yeah, I'll be out in just a minute," I called back shakily.

"Are you okay?" Bailey asked.

I sighed as I opened the door to find just Bailey, just like I thought I would.

"I'm nervous. I'm more nervous than I have ever been for anything else," I admit.

"Ava, that's okay," Bailey smiled, "I'd expect you to be nervous. It's your first like real official date with Karl, and you're kind of in love with him. And that's normal."

"What happens if we're on this date and he decides that I'm not what he wants?" I asked, "what do I do then?"

"Ava, I know what he has planned for this date. And that is not going to happen," Bailey laughed, "plus, have you never paid attention to how he looks at you? Ava, he swoons when you blink. He has lost his mind over how much he cares for you."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really. Now, you look beautiful and there is a guy downstairs that I have never seen look more anxious in his life, and he's anxious to see you, do you feel better now?" Bailey asked.

"Thank you. Last thing, you said you know what Karl has planned for this date, am I dressed okay for whatever we're doing?" I asked.

"You look beautiful," Bailey nodded.

I took a deep breath before Bailey led me downstairs, where Karl was waiting. He looked adorable in black jeans and a grey button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up slightly.

"Woah," Karl mumbled as I stepped up next to him, "you look stunning."

"Thank you," I whispered as I grabbed onto Karl's shirt and carefully fixed his collar, "I like when you wear a button down."

Karl grabbed onto my hand, slowly tangling our fingers together before he gently placed a kiss on the back of my hand.

"We'll see you later guys," Karl spoke to his roommates before he turned to walk us out of the house.

"Have funnnnnn," Bailey sang at us.

Karl opened my door for me and closed me inside of his car before he walked around to the drivers side. We're really doing this. When he got behind the wheel of his car, he immediately reached over for my hand once more. I love that he always holds my hand while we're in the car. Always.

"I'm so nervous," Karl admit.

"Why?" I asked with a pout.

"Because I want this to be perfect and for everything to go like I planned," Karl explained, "and I want you to like it."

"I would love any date you planned. But I'm nervous too," I admit.

"Why are you nervous?" Karl asked.

"Because I'm an insecure and anxious person and this is our first real official date," I shrugged, "I just want you to still like me by the end of this date."

"Baby, do you really fear that it's possible for me not to?"

"Yes," I answered honestly, "I've yet to understand why you ever liked me in the first place."

"Like," Karl corrected me, "present tense, not past. It will never be past."

Never.

I nodded as Karl pulled into one of the parking spaces at the warehouse. Interesting choice for a date location, I think. Karl intertwined our fingers as he led me not into the warehouse like I thought he was going to, but instead towards the tree line. After we passed the first few trees, the woods opened up a little and there was a makeshift path lined with candle-lit lanterns.