Twenty-Four

I think I could've stopped drinking over an hour again and I'd still be wasted, but Ashton and his friends kept buying me drinks.

"Tell me something about you that I don't already know," Ashton slurred to me.

We were still the only people sitting at our table, since his friends had all found girls to spend some time with if you know what I mean.

"I don't know, what do you want me to tell you?" I asked with a giggle.

I'm definitely a giggly drunk as I've learned in the last week, and apparently Ashton is a happy philosophical drunk, but it was nice to know we were both in good moods.

"Anything, just something I don't know," Ashton smiled, "have you ever been in love?"

"I don't know. I think there's someone who I could love, but he doesn't like me. Jimmy and Chris introduced me to him and I don't know," I shrugged, "have you ever been in love?"

"Once for real," Ashton nodded, "that was years ago when I was in college. I've been close a bunch of times, but no one that sticks."

"Ash you'll find your woman," I giggled, "she's out there."

"What about you? Who's this person you could love?" Ashton asked.

"His name is Karl," I sighed, "I don't know."

"Why don't you know? What's stopping you?" Ashton asked as he finished off his probably thirty-something drink of the night.

"He's into someone else. On my birthday, he invited a girl out with us. And he kissed her right in front of me. And then he didn't even say goodbye to me before I left to come home," I sighed, "plus since I've been home, he's barely spoken to me."

"Is he worth it, then?" Ashton asked, "you're a beautiful woman Ava. You shouldn't be crying over someone."

"I think he's worth it, no matter how much he makes me cry," I shrugged, "he's all I think about."

"You should call him," Ashton suggested, "right now."

"What?" I asked.

"Call him," Ashton pushed, "call him and tell him that he's hurt your feelings but you can't stop thinking about him."

I looked down at my phone that was sitting in my hands and considered what Ashton was telling me. I know I have no conscious control over my actions, I lost that at least three hours ago. Which is also why I even told Ashton anything anyway.

"Call him," Ashton insisted.

"What if he doesn't answer?" I asked.

"Then leave him a voicemail," Ashton shrugged.

I huffed slightly before I unlocked my phone and dialed Karl's number. I lifted it to my ear and listened as it rang a few times before sending me straight to voicemail. I sighed sadly before I heard the beep.

"You never answer me anymore," I said sadly as I slurred my words, "what did I do? I never wanted you to feel bad, but you made me feel bad and now you don't answer me. And that's not fair because you're all I think about."

I hung up and dropped my phone back into my purse. Well that was a dumb idea. And now I just feel even worse.

"No answer?" Ashton asked.

"No," I sighed sadly, "I need another drink."

"I'll get one, stay here," Ashton smiled.

I waited for a minute alone before Ashton returned. He handed me my drink and I downed it in one gulp before I looked at Ashton.