Chapter 20: be more...chill~

Ok maybe all that takoyaki wasn't my best idea...

Me and Ayato were practically  stuck finishing all of those round mushy balls till kingdom come- or at least till school season rolled back around.

I had finally shoved the last rancid octopus ball down my gullet when a hand was wrapped under my armpit. The person tugged in order to, I assume, pull me up.

But damn boi, IM TICKLISH-

You bet your ass I flipped out and oh so gracefully clattered to the floor, bringing my chair down with me.

An audible gasp softly sounded behind me and right then and there i knew which manhandling bastard had tried to pull that stunt.

"SUBARU YOU TSUNDERE PIECE OF ASS!" I screamed, earning a dosaproving sigh from a passing Reiji accross the room.

I groaned, the adrenaline from the shock fading and the dull ache of my body's oh so gentle impact with the plush floor set in.

"I swear im going to hit you so hard that pigment returns to your milky-ass face." I muttered bitterly.

"S-orry."

HOL UP-

OH THAT RIGHT THERE

THAT GAVE ME THE DOKI DOKI

MHNMMMMM

I hopped to my feet with a huge sigh, finding myself unable to hold any ill will towards the vampy boy.

"You're lucky you're pretty..." I grumbled, fighting the increasingly strong urge to glomp the emo giant.

He made a face but I didn't dare look at him straight on to find out what face.

"I'm supposed to keep you company today," he broke the short silence and started walking to the front door.

"Why?" I trailed behind him, my pace faster than normal to keep up with his long strides.

"To protect you from those Mukami bastards." Tsunbaru was a man of few words and little explanation, NOT HELPFUL.

"What do you mean?"

He gave me a look before nodding to the two cars that would be sending us to school.

The realisation only set in once i'd seated myself in the car across from Kanato and Reiji.

"They're coming to MY school?!" I whisper yelled, careful not to annoy the noise-sensitive, early morning Kanato or the Reiji with eyebags bigger than a hackysack and a pissy attitude to match.

He nodded and before i could find a hot pot of water to dip a thermometer in, or a red marker to dot chickenpox spots on my face with, the car sped off.

I watched in dismay as my strange new home merged into the background of a rain cloud- infested, misty morning.

'at least I get to meet Azusa...'

Or not...

The whole day I'd been running into those Mukami Mosquitoes™ but not a single sign of the baby boy....

True to his word Subaru stuck by my side through most of the day,  even skipping his own lessons to stick by me during mine. Every lesson i went to he'd grab a chair from anywhere, be it just lying around or seconds away from being under another student's butt, and plop it down next to my table.

To say i got a few stares was... an understatement.

By noon that day I'd already run into the three oldest Mukamis and been called a variety of fabulous nicknames like

"sow", despite my distinct lack of a pig snout or female genetalia,

"livestock", courtesy of bookworm 2.0,

and a bunch of others by a very indecisive Kou.

Yet through it all, the meat wall that is Tsunbaru got me out of it all.

He must've gotten pretty tired seeing as his pretty white hair was now strewn around his head, resting on my table.

I could hardly focus on the teacher's lecture about the fascinating world of female and male words in French. After all it was "ze most be-U-tifool languashe".

So to show my overwhelming fascination in the subject, i chose to rest my head in my hand and inch my fingers closer to the albino's head.

I mean his hair was so shiny and smooth looking....

HOW COULD I HELP MYSELF??

I gently twirled a small lock of hair in my fingers.

'Huh, what do ya know, it is really soft.'

Each hair follicle seemed almost transparent, like tiny crystals whittled down to the width of a hair.

The strands would wrap around my thumb before slipping off and i'd repeat the mesmerising process. It felt strangely statisfying to see the glittering fibres graze my fingers with the smoothness of cold silk.

Every now and then id accidentally prod him in the head but he seemed so deep in slumber he didnt quite notice.

His skin was unexpectedly cool to the touch, almost lifeless. I probably would have thought he was dead if i didnt know any better.

Well in a way, i guess he was dead?

It never really had time to set in but it was quiet moments like these that really made me realise my childhood loves were now real, tangible and living with me.

But now, it didnt feel the same.

It wasnt the same fluffy love as i felt in my tweens.

It was...

I don't quite know what it was.

But the thought of these boys sent a strange warmth flooding through my chest.

Yet i felt uneasy.

Why was that?

I dropped the hair I was holding between my fingers and turned to the window.

I needed to cool off, Be More Chill if you would.

It didnt help that i could feel his ruby eyes digging into the back of my head.

'ah, looks like he caught me...'