Patronus

(Y/n) POV

After Harry declared that he was going to kill Sirius Black after finding out Sirius betrayed his parents to Voldemort, I decided to push myself harder to hopefully be strong enough so Harry won't have to make that choice of whether or not to kill Sirius. I am practicing my combat skills in the common room by myself when I hear...

Hermione: Ahem.

(Y/n): Oh, Hermione. What's up?

Hermione: How's training going?

(Y/n): Alright, it's a little hard to do on your own.

Hermione: Do you... *blushes* think you could teach me a little bit.

(Y/n): Wait, what?

Hermione: I mean not to the extent you know, but you know, the basics.

(Y/n): Well, I mean, I could teach you a few things but it requires a lot of dedication.

Hermione: I think I can take it.

(Y/n): Okay, um, take a stance. Put your best foot forward.

Hermione takes a stance and I help position herself further and then take my stance.

(Y/n): Okay, raise your hands. Like this.

Hermione does so and I move her hands a little more to a proper defensive position, then I go back to my stance and tell her.

(Y/n): Now, I'm gonna try to hit you, and you simply try to either block or dodge. Can you do that?

Hermione: Won't know until we try.

(Y/n): Alright, I'll start out slow.

I throw a punch and she does dodges to the right, but I then hit her arm with my right and she fell, but I grab her arm before she hit the ground and get her back on her feet.

(Y/n): It's alright, this takes practice.

Hermione: Come on, try again.

(Y/n): Are you sure?

Hermione: Again.

(Y/n): Alright.

For an hour Hermione practiced with me and she is getting dodging pretty well as well as disabling counters. Then Harry arrives and asks if I can accompany him to Lupin's office and I agree and we arrive in Lupin's office.

Lupin: Harry, (Y/n). Good, you came. Now are you sure you want to do this, this is very advanced magic. Well beyond your standard wizard.

Harry: I'm sure.

(Y/n): *slams his fists together* Bring it on.

Lupin: Very well, now the spell I'm going to try and teach you both is called the Patronus Charm, have you ever heard of it.

Harry: *shakes his head no*

(Y/n): I've heard of it but I've never really seen it in action.

Lupin: Well, to recap, the Patronus is a kind of positive force, and for the wizard who can conjure one, it can act as a shield. Force the dementor to feed on the spell rather than on him. Now, in order for this to work you have to use a positive memory, use the most powerful and happiest memory you can think of. Now, without your wands, close your eyes and think of the happiest memory you can muster.

I closed my eyes and search through my memories, there's the times I spent with Robert, the time Harry and I picked wands for the first time, ultimately I land on the memory of Hermione when she was there for me when I was unsure and scared of my powers how she never gave up on me.