Part 52 (3/3)

Luke, as Reese, standing next to me, senses my distress and presses into my leg. His nose comes to my hand and his tongue flicks out over it, again. It soothes me.

My step-mother is still screaming at Volto and anyone who can hear. Kota looks over my shoulder and looks to Mr. Blackbourne, silently communicating. I don't bother trying to hear what they're saying, because I think if I tried, they wouldn't let me in, and I can see equally as well as Kota. I glance over my shoulder and see that a door to a house down the street has opened, and soon more follow.

I whip around and face, Pi, or rather Kota fear in my eyes. What will happen to the guys in their wolf forms? My step-mother has just gone to show that not everyone will be accepting, and if the authorities are called on them, it'll only be a matter of time before the world, or at least South Carolina, will find out about shifters. The guys can't stay wolves forever. There are people out there that would want to hurt them, us, and I don't want any of my dreams to come true.

"Kota," I say out loud, it comes out quiet due to the fear. He meets my gaze and then turns back to Mr. Blackbourne only for a second. Dr. Green jogs over to me, a bounce in his step. He places a hand on my cheek, nudging my head to the side so he's able to look me in the eyes. His hand strokes my cheek, as he moves backward slightly so he's able to look down at my side. His other hand that's not on my cheek, moves down there and pulls the material gently away from the wound. He examines it, and then look back up at me, a small grin on his face.

"You'll live." His hand still on my cheek he pulls me closer to him. He rests his nose against mine, staring into my eyes. "They'll be ok. We won't let anything happen to them," he murmurs. I clutch onto his shirt.

"But what if-" He moves his thumb on my cheek to my lips, pressing gently to stop me talking.

"It looks like a case of 'Butifs' and as a doctor, I think the only cure for such severe case as yours is to trust us. It's a fact."

I almost let out a chuckle. "But you're my mates..."

"I know," Dr. Green answers sympathetically. "And for that reason alone they won't allow themselves to be caught."

I look down at the boys around me and trust that they'll leave if they need to. Hopefully, with the presence of the others, they'll see that I'm OK. North, or rather West, will probably take the most persuading, but I think with a choice between me and captivity he'd disappear just as quickly as the others, or at least I hope.

"Kota?" a female calls. I spin, ready to protect the guys, but when the others don't react I should have guessed the voice wasn't a threat. Erica is walking across the road to our group. She looks over our group, taking everything in. Her eyes linger on me, and the wound, before going to Dr. Green and moving on. Her eyes hold confusion, but she doesn't say anything further.

My step-mother cries to her about us all being monsters and for Erica to call the police, and Erica looks unfazed, albeit slightly nervous. Erica takes a step toward my step-mother, her hands coming up to show she means no harm. Erica's eyes stay on the knife warily and she halts in her movements when my step-mother brings the knife up. I don't want to see Erica get hurt over me, and attempt to move around Dr. Green but when my step-mother's eyes fly to me, she brandishes the knife, waving it around at everyone.

"Look what you've done to our family. You have invited strangers into our lives, and this is the result. This is all your fault."

Growls and gasps go around our groups, but before anyone can answer, I take the opportunity to let my step-mother know that I'm not going to let her control me anymore.

"No, this is your fault. You could have left my mother and me be, but you had to-"

"Your mother was a slut and could have never left your dad alone. She was so desperate to be loved, it was pathetic. When you were born, I knew she had to be gotten rid of. Your father wanted to be with your mother, isn't that sick! I did her a favor, your father was obsessed and she broke his heart. She left him, but your father wouldn't stop going after her. And then we were lumped with you. Your mother was adamant that you weren't like her, a monster, and from the kindness of my heart, I took you into my home so you weren't a stray dog on the street, who ended up like your mother. But look at you now... a bitch in heat." Her speech is full of hypocrisies and sounds like it's coming from a crazy person, but I get the message she didn't like my mom. My dad was the problem, not my mom.