Chapter 23: Capital Games Arrive At Last

Katniss' POV
Peeta died. There is nothing we can do. Aliana and Autumn will be spending the next couple of days with us because 1. The Capitol Games are starting. 2. I need the extra help. Tonight we will be watching the reaping. Some of the people we have known recently moved to the Capitol so we are all super anxious. I sit on the couch with Adrian cradled in my arms. Autumn sits with Dylan and Alexis. Aliana is sitting with Joshua her husband. We sent the rest of the kids upstairs to play. President Paylor is pulling out the names. Most of them I do not recognize until,

"Nicole Abernathy." Everyone in the whole Panem is probably gasping as sweet innocent Nicole walks up on stage.

"Finn Mellark." I start to cry. Why was he put in the bowl. Peacekeepers barge into our house and grab Finn from upstairs and take him away. About 2 minutes later I watch as tear stained Finn walks out of a hovercraft. I start to sob. Everyone is sobbing. Then it happens.

"Annie Cresta." What?? That is not right. A very beaten up Annie limps onto the stage. She was the last contestant. In this instant. I am glad that I taught Finn to hunt with a bow, a spear, a knife, and a trident.

*First Day in Arena*
Annie's POV
I wanted to see Finn but not like this. I am standing on a platform with a suit that is water proof with certain pockets for things. I am lifted into an arena to see it is the same arena that Finnick was in with Katniss and Peeta. I wait watch as the clock counts down. A girl, about 6, jumps off of her platform and explodes. A boy about 13 starts to cry and I notice their resemblance. I hear the horn and dive into the water. I pull myself up near the cornucopia. I grab a spear and some knives. The same boy who was crying tries to throw a knife at me but I dodge it while throwing one at him.

I killed a young child. I look around and see Finn grabbing a backpack and a trident. Nicole grabs a sword.

"Nicole! Finn! Follow me." Then I dash toward the forest. I go to the section which I know is where the lightning tree is. I make sure to stay away from it though. I sit down in a huff. Finn and Nicole do too.

"Finn, my baby." I hug him tightly.

"I missed you so much Mom." He cries. We decide to stay in this section for nighttime. Nothing happens except the lightning anyway.

"I will guard watch for the first few hours." I tell them.

"You all know how to use your weapons right?" I ask.

"Yeah." Finn answers, "Katniss taught us." I nod but the anthem starts to play. We look to the sky. 15 dead. That is a lot. Only 6 left for us to kill. I here rustling in the bushes.

"Get up." I warn them. We stand up with weapons ready. A boy and 2 girls come out. I start throwing knives. The girl goes down an a cannon booms. Then I throw a knife at the boy. Another cannon. I look to the other girl just as Finn kills her.

"Good job guys. Let's move." We decide to go to the beach which is the safest place. There we rest. Somewhere at night we switch places. In the morning we have nothing to eat and are starving. I watch as a parachute comes down. 3 platters of egg and bacon for all of us.

"Thank you sponsors." I smile. Then we dig in. I hear a cannon. Then another. But I do not hear a 3rd.

"Congratulations! You are the final 4 contestants. We have changed the rules. 2 may win. Good luck." Then the announcer turns off. It is time. I must kill myself.

"Finn, Nicole. I love both of you. I hope you all win." With that. I stab a knife through my heart. I hear a cannon.

Katniss' POV
Tears are flowing down my cheeks. Annie just died. For Finn and Nicole. The final 3 are left. Suddenly fireballs start to shoot at Finn and Nicole. They start to run and duck. Doing everything they can to not get hit. Then the fireballs stop. They are face to face with a 18 year old boy.

"Listen you two. I have no family left. They all died in the war. You guys are young. You have more life left to live. I want you 2 to win." Then he pours nightlock into his mouth and dies.

"Congratulations. Finn Mellark and Nicole Abernathy. You won the Capitol Games!"