Railview Hotel

Aurelia laid on Lily's bed, absentmindedly twiddling her thumbs together as she looked out a small window where light was pouring out of. Lily was sitting in an armchair as she opened countless envelopes, reading each one in slight amusement before putting them in a pile on her desktop. 

"Thank you for letting me stay," Aurelia said after a while. 

Lily nodded. "It's fine. Are you sure your dad won't mind?"

"We're going to spend the Christmas together," Aurelia replied. "And he said we might do something special next summer. He's busy, you know, with work and all."

"What job does he have?" Lily asked curiously.

"An artist," Aurelia immediately answered. "He likes to um, paint animated portraits."

"That sounds interesting. Personally I've always wanted to be an Auror and fight evil."

"Wow, Gryffindors with their hero complex," Aurelia mumbled under her breath.

Lily scoffed. "What do you want to be then?"

"Maybe an activist, but I always thought being an artist would be just as fun." Aurelia paused to look at the small clock on the desktop that Lily was right beside, "When did you say Marlene was going to get here?"

Lily's eyes traveled to the clock, before she jumped off the armchair. "She should be here right about now!"

They sped downstairs, opening the door wide open. Marlene was standing idly on the doorstep, her dark blonde curls bouncing off her shoulders. "Hello," she greeted, smiling at Lily before making her way in. 

"Do you want to go in the—"

"Why do you have so many people over here?" a harsh voice interrupted. "I was going to have Vernon over!"

Aurelia looked over her shoulder. Lily's sister — who was quite a bit taller than them — was surveying them with an air of pure disgust.

Lily's facial features held the same look of loathing when she mentioned the name of the boy. "You can hang out with your boyfriend another time. Mum said she didn't appreciate it when he—"

"I—don't—care!" Petunia shouted. "She doesn't appreciate a lot of things involving me, but if it's you, 'perfect Lily', it doesn't matter — even when you hang out with your freakish friends!"

Aurelia and Marlene shared an awkward glance with one another. 

"Maybe if Vernon wasn't vermin!"

"Maybe if Lily wasn't downright silly—"

"Maybe if Tuney wasn't loony—"

"Maybe if Lily wasn't leery—"

"Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"Yes, yes it is!"

"You can never be too cautious—"

"But sometimes you can be a bit too obnoxious—"

Marlene grabbed Aurelia's hand, running up the steps before entering their way to Lily's room. "That was a close call," Marlene said out of breath as she closed the wooden door. "Reminds me of my older brother."

"Good thing I don't have a sibling then," Aurelia said, laughing.

"So," started Marlene as she looked around the small room, "do we have any plans?"

"Plans? I, um — I don't know."

Aurelia could hear yelling from downstairs; Marlene and Aurelia looked towards the floor in unison — waiting for the voices to quiet down.