Birth

I sat on the couch, cuddling Theo when I experienced my first contraction. I put my hand on my belly and breathed deeply. "Why does Cor have to be out when I need him! The one day he spends away from me in 6 months is the one day I start to  have contractions!" I said under my breath. I wasn't due for another week but I was born a week early, Emerson, Kara's newborn son was also 4 days early. So it must be within the family. That being said, Corey was born 2 weeks late so who knows. I grabbed my phone and called Corey first. He was at an audition so I was nervous he wouldn't pick up. It rang, and then rang again. Finally I heard his voice.

"Hey Katie. I need to be quick, I'm about to go in."

"I've gone into labor Corey." I took deep breaths as the pain came back. "Ahhh. Cor. I... I..."

"I'll be right there Katie. Take deep breaths remember. You're going to be just fine."

"But the audition..."

"Mrs Katie Cott! You are going into labor! That is far more important that any audition! I will get there as soon as I can."

"Mr Corey Cott." I heard muffled, it must be him being called though. He kept me on the line as he went in.

"Thank you for asking me to come audition for you today. However my wife is on the phone and she's just gone into labor, a week early, and is home alone. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to come audition for you all but I must go be with her at this time and get her to the hospital." I heard more muffled voices. "Thank you very much. I will see you soon."

"Cor, what's going on? Talk to me cowboy."

"I'm leaving now love. They said I can call them later on to reschedule the audition."

"Oh that great love. They clearly want you. Ahhhh," I clutched my stomach again, "Please be quick Cor."

"I will. I'll hang up so you can call our parents and your sister."

"Okay. I'll see you soon. I love you Corey."

"I love you more Katie. You've got this." He hung up and I called Kara first so she could sort Emerson out before coming to the hospital with me.

"Hey Katie. How are you doing?"

"Not great, I've started having contractions. Corey is out but is on his way home now. But he's coming. I'm in labor."

"Okay. Deep breaths, stay relaxed and you'll be okay. Kev is home so I just have to pump some milk for Emerson and then I'll be right over. If you leave for the hospital let me know and I'll get a cab there."

"Okay. Thank you. I gotta call mom dad and Lori and Rick. Bye." I hung up and called both sets of parents. They immediately cancelled any plans they had and started their long drives down to New York. I got up and went to grab the bags we'd packed to take to the hospital. Soon Kara arrived as she and Kevin had moved into the house down the road from us in Brooklyn a month after Emerson was born. We clearly couldn't stay away from one another.

"Katie! Sit down! I'll get everything ready. What else do you need."

"Chargers are by our bed. I think that's all I need now. Everything else was pre-packed." I sat down and ten minutes later Corey ran in. He came straight over to me and I stood up and he held me close. "Cor. You're here." I breathed resting my head on his chest.

"I'm here. Now are you ready to head to the hospital?" I nodded.

"Yeah. I'm ready." I looked up at him, a sparkle in my eyes. "Cor. Before we go. I want us to take a moment. This is the last time we will be here before we have our son." I said softly. He kept his arms gently around me and kissed my forehead.