Thirty Seven

Amara's P.O.V

I didn't leave Brennan's house since the news of my parents. Jessica brought over some of my clothes from the dorm. Brennan helped call my professors and explain what happened. I couldn't stop crying after the news.

"Amara, we have to get going soon," Brennan told me. I looked up at him and nodded.

I changed into something comfortable before walking to Brennan's car. I sat in the passengers side and leaned back. I was grateful to have Brennan and his family to help me with all this stuff.

During the flight, I leaned against Brennan. He held me close to him as we watched a movie. We didn't talk to each other during the flight. I wasn't in the mood to talk.

Once we landed, I walked out of the plane with Brennan by my side. After we got our luggage we went to the car that was ready for us. I got inside quickly to avoid the paparazzi. Brennan followed behind a moment later.

"My parents are setting up the arrangements for the funeral for your parents," Brennan explained to me. I nodded at him, letting Brennan know that I understood what he said.

"Amara, can you talk to me please? Yell at me, cry to me, anything. Please," Brennan begged. I looked over at him with a frown.

"What do you want me to say?" My voice came out softy and raspy.

"Anything."

"Thank you for staying by my side," I thanked him. Brennan missed my head as he held my hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I'm always going to be by your side. Okay?"

"Okay," I nodded.

Once we reached Brennan's parents' house, I saw the two walk out. We got out of the car to greet them.

"Oh, Amara. I am so sorry for your losses," Mrs. Kindell tells me as she hugged me tightly.

"Mom."

"Thank you. And uh, thank you for helping me plan the funeral for the two," I tell her.

"It's no problem. Come inside. I'm sure you want to rest up or eat something," Mrs. Kindell tells me as she lead me inside.

I walked over to the kitchen with her where there were some snacks and food out.

"Brennan told me how you haven't been eating much," Mrs. Kindell tells me.

"I just haven't been in the mood to eat," I tell her.

"Well have some food. It'll help okay?"

"Okay. Thank you."

I sat on a bar stool as I snacked on some grapes. I was scrolling through my phone until I heard someone yell out.

"Where is my best friend, Brennan!" I walked out to see Chris standing by the front door.

"Chris!" I said.

"Amara!" Chris walked in and hurried over to me. She engulfed me into a tight hug.

"What are you doing here?!" I asked in shock. I pulled away from the hug to look at her.

"My best friend's parents passed away. What am I suppose to do? Let you sulk around?! Hell no!"

"How did you get here? I thought you were in Canada?" I said confused.

"Brennan bought me a ticket here and told me to keep you company and make sure you don't fall into a deeper depression," Chris explained. I smiled softly at her before hugging her again.

"Where are you staying?" I asked.

"Brennan told me I can crash with you two or I can stay with my parents in the meantime. I'm gonna choose staying with you," Chris told me.

After Mrs. Kindell showed us to our room, Chris and I lied on the bed together.

"How are you doing?" Chris asked me.

"I've just been feeling numb," I tell her.

"I'm sorry to hear what happened to your parents, Amara. I can't imagine what kind of pain you are going through right now," Chris said. We heard a knock making the two of us look over.

"Hello, ladies," Brennan greeted.

"Hello, Brennan. I will be right back. I need to use the bathroom," Chris said before getting up and walking off. I sat up to look at Brennan.

"Thanks for bringing Chris over," I thanked.

"I knew you needed her so it was nothing big," Brennan shrugged.

"What am I going to do now?" I asked Brennan. Brennan walked over before sitting on the bed with me.

"Well, a lawyer is going to talk to you about your parents' after the funeral. He can meet us in New York and we can schedule a meeting after one of your classes. But if you want, I have a lot of space in my place in New York," Brennan offered.

"You won't mind?" I asked.

"No. I will treat you like a queen and I promise to you that no matter what, I will always be there for you," Brennan said.

"Thank you, Brennan," I softly spoke. I held his hand and smiled at him.