Chapter Twenty One - The Performance

Angelica's POV

I smile at Peggy in her costume, shaking and nervous. "It'll be ok, Peggles. I promise." I hug her. I finally got used to her being Elphaba, even though I would've played her so much better and I'm probably a better singer and she'll probably embarrass herself and ruin the Schuyler Sister's reputation and...no, no. Angelica, calm down.

The play is going well. I smile at my baby sisters from backstage, watching their fake hate grow as they sing Defying Gravity. "Finally except Peggy's right for the part?" John laughs. My smile turns quickly into a fake one. I still don't trust him to date my little Peggy. "A little bit." I joke. I see how he used to look at Alex...still, looks at Alex. 

Maria appears later on, bruises covering her body. "Oh my gosh what the heck happened!" I whisper - shout, not wanting to interrupt the play. "James -" She begins, before cutting herself off. "Nothing. Nothing happened..." She's grown even skinnier since she started dating James. Suddenly No Good Deed comes on, and I watch my Baby Sister sing.

Peggy's POV

To say I was nervous was an understatement. Well, with me, it always is. But No Good Deed was my favorite song, and in my opinion, hit the hardest in the musical. I had to do it perfectly. I see Angelica and Eliza do thumbs up in the background. I see John smile, I see Maria. Oh, Maria, what's wrong with her? No, Peggy, focus.

"No good deed goes unpunished!" I sing. The music gets quieter, this is my favorite part. I can't let anything, anyone distract me now. "Nessa...Doctor Dillamond...Fiyero..." I take a breath, ready for my favorite part. "Fiyero!" The song rolls of my tongue and suddenly, suddenly I'm finished. I'm finished for real. The rest of the play goes by in a flash.

After the play, we go back to our dorm to celebrate. John kisses me. "You did great, Pegs." He smiles. I smile back. A real, not fake smile. Herc orders pizza. This is awesome. Then Maria enters. And all my worries come back. She's shaking...bruises all over her body...skinnier than ever. "Nothing happened" She says as if on cue, then collapses onto the ground.