BONUS: Once More Upon A Moonlight

{This chapter was dedicated to all those spending Christmas alone during the pandemic. Stay safe.}

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Underneath The Tree' by Kelly Clarkson)

Fred was sat on a recliner, smiling as he recounted the story of his love for Sam. Opposite him, Emily and Pierce sat cuddled up together with their hands intertwined.

Various Christmas decorations were sprawled about the place, a lush green tree with festive baubles and a sparkling star atop it stood in the corner. In the kitchen, Mr and Mrs Clark could be heard conversing with Ms Eastwood.

"Three long months ago, that was," Fred stated and Pierce looked astonished.

"I couldn't go that long without Emily, that's for sure," Pierce confessed and Fred rolled his eyes. Emily tried to nudge him with her elbow but Pierce caught it, clearly used to her antics.

"We called and text every day, of course. It's not the same though." Fred explained and Pierce nodded understandingly.

Emily shrieked in delight and stretched as she let out a yawn straight after. Pierce laughed at her randomness.

"I still love hearing that story. I'm glad it had a happy ending." Emily beamed and leaned back into Pierce.

Fred smiled.

"Me too."

The smell of roast chicken drifted into the room and the three of them practically salivated at the aroma. Emily turned back to Fred after some time.

"And that was the last time you saw him?"

A knock at the front door had Fred on his feet in seconds. He began walking out of the room, poking his head around the corner with an excited look.

"Until now."

---

THIRD-PERSON:

Fred leapt up from his seat, practically tripping over a phone charger in his haste to answer the door. He rushed into the hall and raised a hand to pull the handle but faltered for a moment. It had been such a long time since they spoke face-to-face and he was worried Sam would no longer feel the way he did prior to his departure. Desperately shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he slowly opened the door. 

Before him on the doorstep stood Sam as he faced the street, admiring the blanket of snow covering the entire town. It had to have been just over a year since Willow Creek saw such weather. At last, Sam turned around with his cheeks flushed pink from the cold and his chocolate-brown, grown-out hair dotted in snowflakes. His hazel eyes sparkled with delight and Fred noticed a slight stubble complimenting his jawline.

Sam gasped at the sight of a staring, bashful Fred; his eyes shining a brilliant blue and joyful as they looked deeply into his own. His, now, long-ish blonde hair spikey in places and his fringe swept back effortlessly. Sam gave a shy smile, blushed slightly. He pulled the scarf wrapped around his neck over his face to hide the different rosiness spreading in his cheeks.

"Hi," Sam said quietly, fiddling with his hands as he met the other boy's eyes. 

Fred in turned took Sam's hands into his own, the pale skin cold against his warm fingers.

"Hi yourself." Fred grinned and pulled Sam inside, closing the door behind them. 

He took Sam's scarf and set it around the bannister, Sam's bags placed in the hallway. With the scarf now removed, Fred noticed a familiar piece of clothing worn by Sam. "Is that the hoodie I think it is? I can't believe it still fits you."