Chapter 16: Crazy Cold

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Love Story (Taylor's Version)' by Taylor Swift)

(PICTURES OF THE CHARACTERS WHEN YOUNGER, not 100% accurate though!)

SAM'S POV:

I let out a sigh as sat on the window ledge in my bedroom, my breath creating condensation on the cold, glass panes. Outside a slow but steady fall of snow lightly sprinkled onto the ground, bitterly freezing everything it touched. I groaned as I lifted up a finger to write on steamed-up glass, my wounds causing me a great amount of discomfort - both physical and mental.

It was unusual for us to have snow in November and as a result, all the local schools were shut. The town was simply not prepared to deal with snow, no matter how much money was poured into funding grit and snowploughs. Yet, still, so many adults were out on their driveways shovelling the snow that had settled in an attempt to get to their jobs.

When my finger began to feel numb and chilly, I removed it from the window and wrapped my hands around myself in an attempt to comfort the anxieties that prodded me like icicles. The lack of heat was yet another reminder of my loneliness. In the corner of my eye was my discarded phone, the screen still lit up as it stayed on Fred's contact.

He hadn't messaged me or texted me ever since the game and almost seemed to avoid me whilst we at school. The most I'd seen of him was when I bumped into him, soaking wet from the rain, and when I'd spotted him kissing that girl from the party.

The mere thought made my stomach lurch.

All the worries about what I'd done to upset Fred, the constant 'encounters' with Mike and Emily outing me were overwhelming. I found myself longing for simpler times when the only thing that mattered was being a kid. Because things weren't always like this.

Things used to be different.

_-_

3 Years Ago...

It was a November quite like the current one and I had just started ninth grade, along with Fred and our new friend Emily.

My eyelids felt heavy as morning broke. Sunlight dripped into my room through the slight gap in between the curtains, making the glass of water beside me shimmer and sparkle. Sitting up, I let out a yawn and stretched before finally placing my feet onto the worn wooden floorboards. I soon reached my window and, after sliding the curtains ajar, threw the window open. I was blinded by a sea of pristine white that shined brightly and thrown back slightly by the nippy air, shutting my eyes to shield them from the intense rays. I stayed like that until I felt something cold and wet, land on my nose. I let out a gasp and I blinked to ensure that the sight before me was real - which for the record it was.

The street had been covered with a thick blanket of snow, precious little flakes still skipping silently in the air. I wasted no time in firing up my laptop, hastily checking to see if the school would be open. I fist-pumped in excitement when their website stated that they would in fact be closed.

Now a normal kid my age would probably have leapt back into bed, slept in till later and watched some movies or something; not me.

I raced downstairs to where my parents were sitting at the dining table, drinking coffee and seemingly bickering - yet I ignored that latter point. Nothing could ruin my amazing mood. My father appeared to be doing some sort of crossword puzzle in the newspaper, scratching his stubble beard - which I happened to despise since it was all itchy.