Chapter 12: Infatuated

Word Count: 2501

FRED'S POV:

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside and soft, peaceful breathing next to me. I glanced over at Sam and what I saw melted my heart. His adorable chocolate coloured hair was covering his rather boney face but beautiful face and he was cuddling the comforter like it was his lifeline. I yawned, turning back to my nightstand and looking at my alarm clock.

8:30.

I got to my feet, careful not to wake my friend since he struggled to sleep last night - which he would likely deny but I knew he barely slept last night - and threw on a shirt. I liked to sleep in either just sweatpants or boxers, Sam on the other hand practically covered every inch of himself for a reason I now understood better. Pushing that thought from my head, I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. 

It was Sunday which meant Emily would be leaving on her trip later. Speaking of Emily, she'd been checking up on Sam every now and then but I knew she'd been distant from him which really pissed me off, given it was her who caused Sam's hurt. Ever since she started going out with Mike she'd been too busy to spend time with Sam and me. 

Of course, I didn't blame her for wanting to spend time with her boyfriend but something between Mike and Sam seemed... off. Did he really try to console him? He seemingly cared for Sam at the party when he was injured but whatever Mike said in the classroom made Sam push him - and Sam hardly ever resorted to violence. I didn't understand but I'd see him at the upcoming football match, so I'd interrogate him then.

Eventually, I had two well-stacked plates of pancakes, drizzled with chocolate sauce (which I knew to be Sam's favourite topping) and some tea for us both. Using nothing but pure skill, and perhaps five centuries, I eventually reached my room with our breakfast on a tray. I entered and set the tray down on my dresser and was about to wake Sam up when I noticed he was shaking.

"N-no, please don't hurt me..." Sam whispered with fear evident in his voice. 

I quickly went to his side of the bed, expecting him to be awake but alas, he was still asleep.

"Sam, you okay buddy?" I asked gently but still, he continued to shake and sob.

"P-please don't hurt me, I'm s-sorry! NO!" he screamed and suddenly jolted awake, his eyes wide with terror. 

I could take it no more. I wrapped my arms around him and whispered soothing words to him, much like you'd do with a crying baby, and stroked his hair carefully. Within minutes he had calmed down and a little while after his gorgeous eyes finally relaxed. I looked into them and saw nothing but sorrow and his eyes were puffy and extremely bloodshot. He sat up and reached for his glasses.

"Hey buddy, you okay?" I asked and he simply nodded. 

Deciding he most probably didn't want to talk about the nightmare he'd just had, I got to my feet and brought the tray of food over to the bed. 

"I made us pancakes with chocolate sauce, would you like a plate of them?" I asked and his face brightened up.

I passed it to him and took my plate off along with some cutlery before sitting beside him. I handed him a knife and fork and watched as a took a bite into one, which in retrospect was probably quite creepy but the way his face beamed when he tasted the food was overwhelmingly adorable.

It didn't take us long to devour our breakfast and get ready for the day. By the time I'd gotten downstairs, however, Sam was engrossed in a book. I chuckled and walked up behind him yet he still didn't notice my presence, so I did what any good friend would do. I snatched the book from his hands and ran off as quickly as I could into the garden.