Chapter 37: Promposal

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Perfect' cover by Shaun Riley)

[GIF: SAM]

Sam tilted his head in confusion and I stroked his cheek with my thumb.

"So, I'm going to make sure our first proper kiss is something truly special."

Sam's eyes watered slightly and the innocent smile I loved so much shone brighter than any star. I hugged him tightly and we returned to stargazing, our chests relieved of the secret we'd been keeping from each other for too long and, as a shooting star flew through the darkness, I opened my mouth one final time.

"I promise."

---

SAM'S POV:

The sun's warm and welcoming rays revealed a beautiful Saturday morning, trees swaying carelessly and birds chirping a heavenly harmony. Everything seemed so peaceful and carefree. It seemed impossible to believe that just a few days ago, final exams were in session. Now, discarded textbooks and forgotten bits of paperwork sat in plastic bags, ready to be chucked out or given away.

The previous week had been extremely arduous, with my anxiety kicked into overdrive. Regardless, we had all tried our best and worked hard for the examinations. All we could do now was wait for our results, the part I believed to be the worst.

To pass the time, Emily and Fred had brought me along to the old field we once hung out on. We never really did anything but just sitting in the summer breeze and talking was enjoyable enough. At last, all the stress had dissipated and we could relax before we left for our future placements respectively.

"You guys aren't going to have a water fight again, are you?" Emily joked and Fred shrugged, holding his water bottle with a mischievous grin.

"Who knows? After all, the day is still young." He laughed and put his drink down, laying back onto the freshly cut grass. 

Emily rolled her eyes and pulled out her phone, checking her various notifications.

"People are going crazy about prom, look at all these." Emily showed us posts by fellow classmates wearing their elegant frocks and classy tuxedos, trying them on before the big dance. 

"This is precisely why I don't have social media," I sighed.

Emily turned the phone back to her and scrolled through them, her gaze turning fervent but penitent.

"You're still going aren't you, Em?" I asked and she locked her phone with a sigh, avoiding eye contact.

"I don't know..." She said sadly, a weak smile hiding her sorrow. "I have my dress but I might give it a miss." She confessed and I frowned.

Everyone knew that Mike had been planning on taking Emily to the prom but now that he had left town, Emily was left alone and abandoned. To add insult to injury, Mike had practically declared his love for me before he left.

"You've got to come, it's our last ever prom!" Fred joined the conversation, sitting up and facing Emily with a serious expression.

He seemed to be trying to communicate a further reason with his eyebrows but to me, it just looked like he was wiggling his eyebrows weirdly.

"Oh- well, I might go." Emily seemed to understand something from Fred that I didn't, causing me to narrow my eyebrows. "It's not for a few days yet, anyway."