Chapter 35: Just Like Before?

[GIF: SAM]

FRED'S POV:

I strummed the last note and hit the guitar's body in frustration. Prom was rapidly approaching and I was still yet to master playing a song on the tricky instrument. The other two, Oliver and Charlotte, clapped nonetheless.

"You're really getting it, mate. It's good!" Oli exclaimed but I simply shook my head. 

In response, he attempted a reassuring smile.

"It's not, it's awful! What am I going to do? I'm running out of time." I said glumly, standing and up rubbing my face with my hands.

"Why not just get an acoustic track to be played? It would be so much easier." Oliver suggested and I shook my head again as I clasped the guitar hanging from my shoulders.

"I want to do it. I want to make this special for him; recreate those romance books he likes." I huffed and ran my fingers along the strings.

Charlotte got up abruptly and put a hand on the guitar.

"Look, he likes you. Do I need to spell it out? Sam likes you for who you are. Stop trying to be someone you're not!" She told me firmly and removed her hand.

The fact was: I had made so many mistakes in the last couple of months, hurt so many people and almost lost the single person that meant the most to me. I'd been given a second chance that I didn't deserve and by no means was I taking that lightly. I knew I was partially responsible for Sam's mental state and was prepared to do whatever it took to make it up to him.

"That's not the point. The point is... well - it's just not that. I can't explain." I put the guitar back in the rack and fiddled with my hair, "Besides, I want to do this. I want to see his gorgeous face light up when I perform it." 

I smiled and closed my eyes as I thought about the way his pimples looked so adorable, his goofy laugh that was contagious and the nervous fumbling of his hands sending my heart fluttering. At last, I opened them and spun around with joy overwhelming my lips.

"C'mon, we have a lesson to get to. And I have a cute boy waiting in the seat beside mine." I shrugged on my jacket and bolted out the door, pushing my way through the stampede of smaller students. 

When I, at last, arrived at the science classroom I fixed my hair for the tenth time that day and went in. Sure enough, Sam was sat at our table but was frantically searching his bag for something.

"Sam? What's up?" I asked and he jumped before half-smiling at me.

"I've lost my stupid textbook. It's probably still at his house." Sam grumbled to himself and zipped up his bag with a sigh. 

I promptly sat down beside him and put an arm around him. He still winced slightly as I did so, his injuries not fully healed and reactions to touch unpredictable. I removed my arm and smiled at him sadly.

"Well you're not going back there and there's no point buying a new one this late in the year." I spoke softly and then reached into my backpack, pulling out my own textbook and putting it between us, "So I guess we'll have to share." 

I smoothly moved my chair closer to his so that our legs and arms were touching before opening up the textbook. Sam turned to me, flushing red with an embarrassed look on his face. I winked and then smirked when he looked down at the book. I rose a finger and poked his cheek, causing him to turn back to me.

"I'm not gonna get any revision done today, am I?"

_-_

"So, to put it simply we only have two weeks till your exams and I can't help but feel a few of us aren't taking this seriously."