Chapter 28: The Road Ahead

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Lightning In A Bottle' by Eli Lieb)

SAM'S POV:

Two weeks had passed and at last, my cast had been removed. Whilst my manoeuvrability was still somewhat limited, I could now walk around- albeit at a relatively slow pace.

Fred was by my side whenever he could be; talking to me, playing games with me and helping with the copious amount of work I had to catch up on. It had been decided that I wouldn't attend school until the doctors ruled I were mentally and physically stable. As much of a relief as it were that I could rest and not face Mike, it did mean that I spent most days bored and alone. When work did arrive at last I'd spend hours completing it. It's ironic really, students always wish they didn't have to go into class but what they don't they realise just how dull and monotonous it is - especially when your life used to consist of continuous school work.

Currently, I was sat upside down on the couch, counting the number of DVDs the Clarks' had on their shelves. Answer: 53.

I sighed and sank off the seat, onto the carpeted floor.

Finally, the front door opened, footsteps entering the house.

"Sam?" Fred called out and I raised my hand so he could see my whereabouts. Soon enough his figured loomed over me.

"Hi."

Fred raised an eyebrow with an amused smirk.

"You okay there, Sam?" He asked and I nodded. He helped me up and hugged me,
"I missed you. Been up to much today?"

I shook my head.

"I missed you too and not really. Oh, you have fifty-three DVDs by the way." I told him and he laughed.

"We need to get you out of the house, I'm concerned you're going to start tearing the furniture apart." He teased and I pouted, attempting to hit him on the arm but almost certainly didn't hurt him at all.

"I'm not a dog!" I rolled my eyes and he pulled me closer again.

"I didn't say you were a dog per se... more of an adorable puppy."

I crossed my arms and blushed, he merely laughed as he ruffled my hair.

---

"Where are we going?"

It was Saturday, the next day, and I found myself sat in the passenger seat of a car with Fred at the wheel. That very morning he had made us a plate of pancakes and then announced we were going to spend the day out. He had passed his driver's test and could now officially drive freely.

Fred looked at me quickly and smirked.

"You'll find out when we get there." He said and the smirk grew bigger when I glared.

"You better not be taking me far away to murder me, I will be most unimpressed," I muttered and he chuckled.

"Relax, you'll like where we're going... hopefully."

I glanced at him, his eyes focused on the road ahead and hands clasped around the steering wheel tightly.

Was he nervous?

"I'm sure I will," I reassured and smiled to which he did the same.

I turned my attention to the blurred images outside the window. It was a delightful day, the sun beaming down and the sky filled with small, fluffy clouds. Lush greenery sprawled across the landscape, birds flying by.