Chapter 24: Hold On

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Hold On' by Chord Overstreet)

WORD COUNT: 1921

Everything seemed to be darkening. Or maybe that was just Sam's vision. He couldn't tell anymore.

Sam just lay there waiting.

Waiting for the end.

---

FRED'S POV:

"Mom, Dad I'm home," I announced and stepped up onto the stairs but was stopped by my father.

"Hey, son! How'd the match go? Did ya win?" He asked and I nodded.

My parents erupted into cheers and smiles. I, on the other hand, did not. I continued upstairs to my room and flopped down on my bed.

Sam's bottomless, dull eyes stuck in my head like glue. I found myself recalling every detail about his face; his pale complexion, pink lips, chocolate eyes and rosy cheeks. I found myself staring at a picture on my phone. I'd been looking at it a lot lately. My arm was around his neck and within his pupils was a sparkle that had long since disappeared. Sourced from the last day Sam ever truly smiled before tonight... before I did the unthinkable.

"Frederick! Dinner!" My mother called and I quickly pressed the power button as I hurried downstairs. 

I took my seat opposite my parents and glanced at our meal; a simple pasta dish with a rich cheese sauce and herbs decorating it nicely: macaroni cheese. It was Sam's favourite. Memories of the night I found out about Sam's wrists filled my head and the dinner before me changed to the fusilli cheese I'd cooked for him. I took a few mouthfuls before setting down my cutlery against the china bowl with a clang.

"Everything okay, son?" My father queried.

"Mhm, tasty."

My heart skipped a beat as I remembered it was 'tasty' that Sam used to describe the fusilli cheese, smiling for the first time that day as he ate it with glee. I lost my appetite. 

"That's not what I meant," My father sighed. "What's the matter?"

I didn't answer his question. Instead, I looked into my parents' eyes and sighed.

"How did you know you were in love?" I asked and an unrecognisable emotion danced in their eyes.

My mother gently put her fork down and smiled at me.

"Well, you just know. You always think about them. You miss them, even when they're in the next room," My mother told me and looked into my father's eyes, the two smiling at one another. "You want nothing more in the world than to see them happy." 

I nodded and looked at the table deep in thought.

I only ever wanted Sam to be happy, right?

"You want to protect them, care for them and appreciate how they stick by you no matter how stupid you can be sometimes. It comes from in here." He finished and put his hand to his chest, over his heart. 

I nodded and subconsciously put my hand to my chest, too.

Sam stuck by me, even after I avoided him and shunted him.

With quick precision, I stood up and tucked my chair in and realised how stupid I had been.

"I have something I need to do. I'll be back later." I yelled as I ran through the hallway, grabbing my father's car keys as I passed and throwing open the front door.