Chapter 32: Prom Plans

Play song when it states '(play song)' for added effect.

(Song: 'Rewrite The Stars' cover by SAPPHIRE & Houssein)

FRED'S POV:

"So... what do you guys think?"

We were huddled around a filthy metal table in a nearby fast food joint, eating our burgers and discussing my ideas for prom. I waited in anticipation as the gang all whispered and nodded to each other.

"Alright, we can do that. It sounds great!" Oli smiled and I felt immense relief.

"If you guys want to make any changes-"

No sooner than I had begun my sentence, Charlotte stopped me.

"Frederick, this is perfect. It comes from you. He likes you and so he'll like this. As long as this comes from your heart, it'll all work out." She beamed and I nodded, still petrified.

To think that we'd both felt the same for such a long time and neither of us had said a word was crazy. Looking back, I realised that I had gained feelings for him years ago. Perhaps they had even started as early as our initial meeting on the tree.

"Oi, lovebird." I felt a whack on my arm and I zoned back in to see everyone stood up.

"C'mon, we're off," Ryan told me and then quickly walked out. 

I too went to leave when I spotted the empty bill tray.

"Wait... HEY!" I shouted after them and when I got no response quickly dropped some dollars onto the table before running after them. 

I found them all laughing in front of the doors.

"You guys are paying me back for that!" I muttered and Oli swung his arm around my neck.

"We already are. With your promposal." He winked and I narrowed my eyes.

Trust my friends to blackmail me.

---

We hopped into my dad's car and pulled out of the littered car park. As soon as we were moving, Ryan leant over to the radio and turned it on, cranking the volume up high.

(play song)

It crackled into life, blaring out a popular song; 'Rewrite The Stars'". Before long we had ourselves a sing-along. Each lyric spoke to my heart.

"You know I want you. It's not a secret I try to hide."

I did want him, so badly that it hurt. He was the center of my world, existence and happiness. Nothing felt better than hugging him, his laughter soothing bells in this crazy mess we call life. My beacon of hope.

"So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?"

It was up to me to do this promposal and I was damn well going to make it the best promposal our town had ever seen. After all, he was worth nothing but the best. So I would settle for nothing less.

"Maybe the world could be ours."

Sam was my world. I didn't ever want to live without him again. I nearly lost him due to my own selfishness and stupidity - I would not let that happen again.

The song continued for some time, the car full of off time and out of tune voices. A smile crept onto my face. I was glad that all had worked out in the end. Ryan had been asked to prom by his 'friend' Tom, though we suspected they'd had a thing ever since the party. Either way, I was thrilled that he'd be coming too.