Chapter 31: About Time

[GIF: FRED]

SAM'S POV:

I passed Mike's now empty locker as I made my way to the principal's office, the halls deserted since everyone was in class. The halls seemed alien to me after so long away from the school, echoes of memories still in the air.

It had been a whole week since Mike was last seen and rumours had spread that he'd run away from home, taking all his stuff with him in a duffel bag and heading towards the nearest city: Diomont.

In Emily's locker, she had found a final apology note confirming said rumours. He promised to never appear in our lives again and beneath the letter sat his red varsity jacket, faded but still- as he quoted- his prized possession. I supposed it was his way of showing his guilt, giving away the thing that meant the most to him to the girl he had wronged.

At last I arrived at the secluded office. I raised my hand and knocked steadily on the solid oak door, ignoring the nagging anxieties I had about meeting her. If I could face my father in court, then this would be a walk in the park.

"Come in."

I obliged, turning the door handle and walking in slowly before shutting the door behind me. Mrs Hemsworth looked up from her laptop and smiled slightly at me.

"Ah, hello Sam. Please take a seat." She gestured to the blue cushioned chair set the opposite side of the desk to her. 

I sat down and waited for her to speak.

"How are you feeling, a little better I hope?" She asked and I just nodded, earning me a perplexed look, "Well that's good. Thank you for coming to see me. I wanted to talk to you about the information regarding bullying that has surfaced concerning you." 

I gulped but still maintained eye contact.

The last thing I wanted to do was talk about that.

"Now, I appreciate the ordeal you have been through so if it gets too much for you then please tell me. Is it true that Michael Miller had been bullying you for the last few years regarding your sexuality?" She fired the question straight at me and I instantly froze.

I found myself unable to speak. Memories swam in my eyes but I shook them away. I didn't know what to say, heck I didn't want to be talking about myself at all. I desired nothing but peace and for the past to just be buried.

"You shook your head. Is that a no to my question?" Another question impaled my brain.

"I... well-"

"Did he bully you, Mr Eastwood?" There she went again.

"Well-"

"Have you been suffering from mental health problems as a result of the bullying? If so did your suicidal tendencies develop because of it?" Another one fired.

"Yes... I- no. I mean-"

"Perhaps you can answer this question instead. Are you a homosexual?"

I rose to my feet abruptly.

"Are you ever going to let me speak? Or are you going to consistently fire your intrusive questions one after another until they've bore a hole into my very being?" I gritted and she leant back shocked. 

No more would I remain silenced and allow people to walk over me.

"I apologise Samuel but given the recent-"

"I don't need your apology or your excuses. That's all I've been given as of late. You invited me here just to stick your nose into a place it didn't belong. It's been dealt with and the authorities have provided you with the details you need to be informed of. Leave me alone!" I yelled, my very being shaking as darkness tried to engulf my thoughts.