Chapter 2: Science Class

FRED'S POV:

"We are so gonna be late!" Sam shouted breathlessly as we ran as fast as we could into school. 

Sam had seen the most adorable pug on the way and of course, we had to stop and pet it which caused us to completely lose track of the time.

"Not on my watch we're not!" I replied as I grabbed his arm and pulled him along with me. 

Maybe it was my eyes playing tricks on me but I could have sworn he winced in pain when I did so. I increased my speed as we passed reception, ignoring the calls after us. We burst in through the door of our science class just as the bell rang. 

"We made it..." Sam sighed in relief, clutching at his chest and I released his arm from my grip.

At the front of the classroom stood Mr Jones, our school's science teacher, with an eyebrow raised - as if wanting to ask but deciding not to. He looked quite young with only slight stubble resting on his jawline and a navy tie poking out the collar of a white button-up shirt. He waved us away to sit down and turned around to continue writing something on the board behind him.

Sam and I both stopped to catch our breath before heading over to our table and sitting down. I looked up to see our other friend, Emily, opposite giving us a look she reserves only for these near late arrivals. Her dirty blonde hair was as perfectly wavy as ever and her grass-green eyes narrowed in judgement.

"What?" I asked her innocently whilst getting a textbook and pencil from my bag.

"Nothing," she replied, looking down and continuing to jot down notes from her open textbook. 

I shrugged and made my way over to the back of the room where the bin was placed to sharpen my pencil before silently heading back to my seat so as not to interrupt a conversation between Emily and Sam. 

I looked around at the room as I went, noticing the popular jocks and cheerleaders sitting at their own busy table chewing gum. I waved to the few that I knew from being a captain on the school's soccer team: Ryan, Oliver and his girlfriend Charlotte - the latter not on the soccer team, as much as she protested the sexism to the team organisers. Beside them sat the typically red varsity jacketed Mike, co-captain of our team. 

I tried to greet him also but his eyes seemed to gaze idly at the back of Sam's head. When that failed, I took my seat again and the previous conversation between my friends seemed to have heated up.

"Will you lay off? It's not important!" Sam whispered pleadingly at Emily, who in turn looked to me as I sat down.

Her mouth opened as if to say something but closed again seconds later. His eyes widened as he spotted me sitting back down and buried his nose in his book. I glanced at Emily for an explanation, but she simply rolled her eyes and opened a textbook. Deciding not to pressure Sam into telling me what it was all about, I too opened my textbook.

"Alright class, here's what we'll be doing today..."

--------------

"Oh my god Fred, it's not that hard!" Sam said with an irritated tone and I smiled as I realised the intentional innuendo Sam had made.

"Heh, you said hard," I replied immaturely. A smile appeared on his face and he stifled a laugh before returning to his studious self and letting out a sigh.

Sam rubbed his face and glanced at me tiredly. All too often, Sam ended up helping me with my work because I was too busy cracking jokes and annoying Emily - who, coincidently, proceeded to throw a rubber at me.