Chapter 1: Soaked

SAM'S POV

"For the last time, I'm not gay!" I shouted defensively.

It was a beautiful, sunshine-filled Sunday and I found myself sitting on a luscious grass field with my best friend: Frederick. We'd known each other for five years, though it felt like only yesterday.  For four of those years, however, I had harboured an exhausting secret regarding my true feelings for him. Feelings that ran quite a bit deeper than being his best friend.

"Yeah okay, whatever," Fred said with a smirk on his face. He didn't even really have to say anything to tease me, merely stare me down.

Little did he know...

His eyes shone a brilliant blue, sharp as they looked deeply into my own. His short-ish blonde hair spikey in places and his fringe swept back effortlessly. I averted my gaze and looked at his water bottle, an idea forming in my head as I picked it up.

"You thirsty?" I asked, attempting to hide the mischief in my voice.

"Sure."

Fred looked around for his water bottle and I took the opportunity to initiate my payback. Before Fred could react, I poured water from his bottle all over him. The sunlight gleamed in the streams of water.

"Wha- Sam!" Fred gasped in shock and shook the water from his hair, spraying me with it in the process.

I giggled uncontrollably at his shocked face until he looked at my bottle with the same impish look I had shown just moments ago. I quickly scarpered as he got to his feet with my water bottle in hand, setting off after me.

"Leave me alone, I don't want a drink!"

I felt the summer's breeze brush my exposed ears, the sound of my own laughter catching in the wind as I threw my words behind me. Of course, I knew there was no way I would be able to outrun one of the fastest athletes in our twelfth grade, given that he had recently set an all-time record on the track. Nevertheless, I still entertained the endeavour.

"Get back here, Sam!"

The sound of his feet stepping on crunchy leaves raced after me. It was a sweltering day, with the town being warned of a drought for the foreseeable future. Fred and I had decided to make the most of the weather and attempt at enjoying the heat. So far, we hadn't done an awful lot but I still relished in his company. That was until I decided to waste water by using it to distract him from a comment he meant as a joke but, for me, held connotations of a nightmare.

Just as I neared the treeline, I was tackled to earth by two strong hands. We tumbled on the dry earth, laughing as we went and birds in above us taking flight from the sudden disruption to the tranquillity of mother nature. Eventually, we came to a stop and Fred pinned me down with a grin.

---------------

FRED'S POV

No matter how much my prey struggled and squirmed, I was just too strong for Sam and before long he gave up trying to escape. I removed the cap of my own water bottle and drowned Sam in the liquid, his long-sleeve t-shirt sticking to his slender frame.

A few water droplets fell from his chocolate-brown, messy hair and I watched as Sam's hazel eyes grew wide with shock. He brought his hands to his hair and ruffling it to try and dry it.

"Do you surrender?" I asked with an evil grin on my face. 

"I surrender!" Sam exclaimed breathlessly. 

We both erupted into laughter once more as we rolled over onto the grass, too worn out to do much else thanks to the exhausting mugginess of the air. Sam began playing with the cuffs of his top and I couldn't help but wonder how he could wear sleeves in such conditions