Time Flies

Grian woke up to the sound of birds chirping. It took him a second to realize that it had been him chirping in his sleep. He chuckled to himself and sat up, stretching out his wings. He checked his arms for new feathers.

Strangely, none had grown.

"Huh." Grian said out loud as he stood up.

The bird changed out of his sleep sweats and into a normal pair of trousers, finding that his feathers made the trousers a tight fit. He sighed and switched out the pair he had put on for a pair that he had already accidentally ripped on the knees. Still tight, but at least a bit more comfortable than the previous pair.

"Maybe Iskall was right. A backless dress would be better." He joked to no one as he looped a belt through to keep the trousers up.

He looked down at his shoes that sat next to the bed and grabbed a pair of mismatched socks before putting on the high tops. He whistled a familiar tune that was stuck in his head as he tied the laces. He stood and made his way towards the bathroom.

Grian flicked on the light switch and gave himself a good look in the mirror. His chest was getting pretty feathery, and there were quite a few on his face, even a few in his hair. It didn't bother him anymore.

"Five stages of grief." He noted. "I guess I'm at acceptance."

"You kind of did those stages out of order." A voice tweeted.

Grian blinked and turned to look back through the doorway into his bedroom. Sitting on the windowsill of his open window was his parrot, Professor Beak. He was less of Grian's pet and more of a wild bird who occasionally came to Grian for food. Grian hadn't seen the bird much since he himself started turning into one. Or maybe, Grian had been too focused on himself to notice.

"Well, 'ello to you too, Professor Beak." Grian smiled and fixed his messy hair.

The parrot flew through the doorway and landed on Grian's shoulder.

"You've got something on your face." The blue bird tweeted and bent towards Grian's cheek, pulling at one of the biggest feathers on his face.

"Ow! Hey! That's part of my face!" Grian moved his head away.

"Whoops. Sorry." Beak tittered.

"No, you're not." Grian said jokingly as he fixed the feather his bird pulled on.

"Forgot you could understand me and my sarcasm now." The parrot squawked and shook out his feathers. 

"Yeah, I never knew how much you hated seeds." Grian tried not to smile.

"Hey! I never said that!" Professor Beak flapped his wings in protest.

"I'm kidding." Grian laughed and took the bird off of his shoulder. The parrot, now perched on his hand, gave the almost-bird a very annoyed look. Grian grinned and kissed the bird on the head.

"Don't kiss me!" The parrot tried to fly away.

"Oh, c'mon, Professor Beak! I'm a bird! I can adopt you as my bird son!" Grian couldn't stop himself from laughing.

"I liked you better when you couldn't understand me." The parrot replied.

"You love me, kiddo." Grian ruffled the bird's feathers.

"Don't call me kiddo! I'm not your son!" Professor Beak flew up and into the bedroom.

"Aw, why not? If Mumbo gets to build robot kids, why can't I adopt bird kids?" Grian followed the parrot.

Professor Beak flew towards the open window. "If I say yes to being your quote-unquote bird son, can I go?"

"Hm. Yes." Grian grinned and grabbed the bird before he could fly out.