7

Grian sat down on his bed, and outstretched one of his wings. How were they growing so fast? He curved the wing towards him and touched the feathers. They were soft. Not at all like the feathers from-

He shook that thought away. He didn't want to think about that. His scar started to burn again, even just thinking about that event.

Grian stood up and went to the mirror once more. The wings seemed big enough to lift him off the ground... Should he try?

"With my luck, I'd probably fall to my doom" He laughed to himself.

There he went again, doubting himself. Just like his wings, his low self-confidence also felt natural. Unlike his wings, he didn't really hate it. This was just how he was.

But there was this voice. This tiny, nagging voice in the back of his head, telling him to try.

Maybe I can fly with- No. I can't. What am I-...but I'll never know if I don't try-

After a minute or two of arguing with himself, both in his thoughts and out loud, he slammed his hands down onto the counter, looked his reflection square in the eyes, pointed at it, and said, "You, sir, are going to fly, and you are going to be okay."

This surge of confidence surprised him. It felt so strange, but also...kind of nice. Since it was late, nobody would be able to see him, and even if they did, they would probably think it was his elytra, like Mumbo did.

Grian gave himself a nod and semi-confidently marched out of the bathroom, out of the bedroom, and to a stairwell that led to the roof of the mansion.

He went up the stairs until he reached a ladder and trapdoor. He climbed up the ladder and opened the trapdoor, pulling himself up onto the roof.

He closed the door under him and took a look around.

The view from up here was incredible.

Grian climbed up onto the mansion's highest peak.

Grian was not the only one at a high height.

Mumbo was sitting on the top of one of his tall towers, letting his long legs dangle off the side. He often came up here to just sit and think. From here, he could see Grian's mansion. He stole a glance at it, and did a double-take.

It looked like someone was standing at the top of the roof. He could make out a silhouette, but he wasn't sure who it was.

Back at the mansion, Grian tried to focus himself on not falling.

"Alright, you can do this. You can fly." He spoke out loud.

Grian opened his wings wide. They were smaller than, say, an average pair of angel-esque wings, but they seemed strong enough to hold his weight.

Mumbo watched as the silhouette opened up a pair of wings.

"What-...what is Grian doing?" He stood up on the tower, and now faced the mansion. He could somehow see the faint glow of the wings, even from this far away.

"Is he gonna try to fly?" Mumbo asked no one.

Grian was going to try to fly. He crouched down, spread out his wings, took a deep breath and flapped as hard as he could.

He shot off into the air, faster than he had expected. He let out a yelp as he tried to find balance and tried to get upright.

Mumbo watched as Grian was about to take-off, nervous that he would not be able to do it.