Friendship is Magic

When Grum knocked on his father's bedroom door the next morning, he got a tired "Come in" from the other side. He turned the knob and pushed open the door to find his father in the middle of the room surrounded by laid out blue prints with designs drawn on them in white coloured pencil. He was leaned over a crafting table, scribbling on another blueprint. He didn't look up when his son entered.

"Hey Dad...did you sleep?" Grum approached cautiously.

Mumbo glanced up. He had bags under his eyes and he didn't look alright.

"Of course not." The roboticist replied. "How could I sleep when I've got twenty-two robots to plan."

Grum stepped back. "Twenty-two? Dad, are you insane?"

"I think so, yes." Mumbo chuckled and sat back, holding up the plans in front of his face. Grum rushed forwards and picked up some of the plans from the floor, inspecting them.

"Iskall, Xisuma, Cleo, Cub..." He scanned the prints with his eyes, worry growing inside of his chest. "Dad! You can't do this!"

Mumbo put down the blueprint he was holding. "Do what?"

"Build real people as robots! That's not okay!" Grum started collecting the rest of the plans.

Mumbo felt his heart rate quicken. He grabbed Grum's wrist as he leaned down to take the plans.

"D-don't....please..."

Grum froze as his father stared at him. There was something in the man's eyes that the robot couldn't quite place. He looked broken, lost, and empty. They were emotions that Grum had only begun to understand.

As the robot dropped the plans in his arms, Mumbo let go of the boy's wrist. He quickly gathered up all twenty-two of his plans and stood up. He walked past Grum and out of the room, leaving his son alone, confused and worried.

Mumbo went into the living room where his robotic family was interacting with each other.

"Could I have your attention please?" He called over the room. The robots looked up.

Grumbot exited the bedroom and slipped past Mumbo to join his robotic family for the engineer's announcement.

"I am holding plans for twenty-two new robots! I know that I can't handle a task like this on my own. So I am asking you all to help me! With your assistance, I know we can get this done quickly."

Grum looked at his siblings. They had similar looks of worry in their eyes, but he knew they would all help their father. He knew he would as well. It was what they were programmed to do.

"So come up here and I'll give you your plans! There's eleven of us, so we'll each build two."

Mumbo set aside the plans for Iskall and Xisuma in his inventory and got the rest of the plans ready.

"Uh, Dad?" Grum hurried to his father first. "Are you really going to make Jrum and Sahara each build two robots all by themselves?"

Mumbo thought for a moment. "Hm. Good point. You can help Jrum and the twins can help Sahara." The roboticist handed the plans for Scar (and Jellie) and Bdubs to his son.

The other members of the family lined up. In their connected server, they communicated nonverbally to one another, all expressing their worry for their dear Mumbo.

Jrum got the plans for Doc and Ren. Amelia got Wels and Stress. Circuit received the plans for Joe and Cleo. Sahara got the plans for Tango and Impulse. Grace got Jevin and False. John took Zedaph and Hypno. Mrs. Jumbo got the plans for TFC and Keralis. Mr. Jumbo got Cub and Beef. Griandroid stepped up last.