Parental Controls

"And it's all finished." Mumbo tiredly dropped his wrench. It landed with a clang on the floor, and the roboticist fell back onto his rolly chair.

Griandroid picked up the wrench and set it in the toolbox next to the robot they had finished.

Delilah Jumbo, Mumbo's mother, was shorter than both of the men at 5'4. She wore oval-shaped glasses and had soft black hair that fell to her shoulders. She had a sprinkle of light freckles across the bridge of her nose. She looked like she was asleep.

"G, could you activate her?" Mumbo asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Of course." Grian went behind Mrs. Jumbo and opened up a panel on the back of her neck. He flipped a switch and closed it tightly. The robot bird stepped out from behind the woman and stood next to Mumbo in his chair.

Her eyes opened and she looked around, her eyes landing on the mess that was her son sitting tiredly in an office chair in front of her. She hurried to him.

"Mumbo! Are you alright? You look terrible!" She started to mess with his hair. Mumbo chuckled and gave her a smile. He leaned forwards in his chair and hugged his mother tightly. She smiled and returned the hug.

Griandroid stood next to the two of them, smiling at the reunion. The mother and son hugged for a good few minutes before Mumbo let go.

"Hi Mum." Mumbo laughed and wiped his teary eyes. "I missed you."

Mrs. Jumbo took her son's hands in her own. "I missed you too, honey. What happened to you?"

"I, uh...I'm not sure anymore."

"You look tired, sweetie. Have you been sleeping?"

"Ye-....er...no? Kind of?"

His mother frowned. "Mumbo, you need to take care of yourself." Her attention was caught by Griandroid, who hadn't said a word yet.

"Oh, why hello there! Mumbo, who's this?"

Mumbo half-smiled and motioned towards his robotic friend. "Mum, this is Griandroid. Griandroid, this is my mum."

G outstretched his hand for her to shake, which she did.

"It's so nice to meet you! I'm so glad that my little bunbun found friends here!"

Grian chuckled. "Little bunbun?" He looked at Mumbo, who's face turned red.

"Although, he isn't so little anymore." Mrs. Jumbo laughed. "Goodness, how old are you, honey bunches?"

"Twenty-four, Mum." The roboticist stood up. He towered over his short mother, but not as much as his siblings would.

"Oh my stars, it's been a while, hasn't it?" She noted.

Mumbo nodded. "It...It has...Grace and John are here too, as well as my kids."

Mrs. Jumbo's eyes lit up. "You have children?" She looked very happy, and very proud.

"Well, they're robots, so I'm not sure if it counts." He looked almost apologetic.

"Pshh, that doesn't matter to me! If you love them like a father, then they're your kids!" His mother gave him a kind and loving smile.

"Thanks Mum." Mumbo smiled in return. "They're out here...Be warned, we kind of...had a dispute a few days ago, and I haven't talked to them since it happened..."

Mrs. Jumbo frowned again. "Hm...I'll make sure things are right." She started to exit the room. Mumbo followed a few steps behind. As his mother exited the workshop to greet her family, Mumbo peeked his face out of the room to watch. Grace and John greeted their mother happily, introducing her to her grandchildren. Sahara took a liking to her, and so did Amelia and Circuit. It only made sense, since the twins were built to be Mumbo, that they would find comfort in Delilah Jumbo. Grum and Jrum seemed happy to meet her too, but as Grum looked up, he and his father made eye contact. The roboticist quickly pulled his head back into the workshop, feeling a wave of panic rush over him. He quickly stepped over to his workbench and grabbed the plans for his father, hoping to get his project done with soon.