Nothing is worse than a group project

Chapter 2

"How was detention, loser?" Nick asked George the next day. George slammed his locker closed and turned to his best friend.

"You should have been in detention, not me." He said, leaning against the lockers with his arms across his chest.

"Did you see the news? Or were you still in detention?" Nick asked.

"I was still in detention." George said. And, he had managed to get back to his classroom before his teacher realised he was gone.

"Damn, you missed it. Dream and GNotFound fought some crazy person freezing people with her fingers. It was insane." He said.

"Oh really."

"Yeah! Man, I wanted to watch but it was too far from my house. I watched the live coverage though. GNotFound spoke to the reporters, but Dream had to go before he changed back or something." He said.

"Ah cool." George said, not really paying much attention.

"So cool. I wish I was a superhero. How fun would that be?" Nick said. George shook his head.

"You want to be one? Why?" George asked, perplexed.

"Well, obviously it would be so fun. And I'd be cool and fast." He said, doing a superman pose. George rolled his eyes.

"I think it would be exhausting. Having to live a double life, you'd never get time for yourself, and also the stress of keeping your identity hidden." He said.

"You're thinking about it too much." Nick laughed.

"Hey, sorry George, do you mind if I just get to my locker?" A voice interrupted their conversation.

George immediately jumped away from the locker, so he was next to Nick.

"S-sorry." George said. Clay smiled.

"All good." He said, proceeding to unlock his locker. George stood there staring at him as he did, a silence surrounding the three of them.

Nick cleared his throat.

"So, George. We should get to biology." Nick said, pulling on George's sleeve. George snapped out of his daze, a blush forming on his cheeks, nodding to Nick.

The pair started to walk away, but Clay stopped them. "Wait, I'm in the same class as you two. Mind waiting so I don't have to walk alone?" He asked. George and Nick turned back around. George had stopped breathing, and Nick noticed.

"George?" Nick whispered, nudging his helpless friend.

"Uh um yeah I mean if you want but you don't have to because it's not like we care but if you want to then uh yeah sure up to you." George spluttered out, his face growing deeper shades of red as he spoke.

Nick silently facepalmed at the waterfall of words spoken by George. Clay was busy zipping up his bag and closing his locker.

"Cool, thanks." Clay said, turning to the pair with a smile and joining them. Nick pulled George's sleeve again to make him unfreeze and start walking again. He also put himself on the left of George, since Clay was on George's right.

If George won't initiate things with Clay himself, I'll have to interfere. Nick thought with a devilish grin.

But the trio walked through the halls in complete silence. George was staring at his feet, as if he was trying to convince himself he wasn't standing next to his crush.

"So. Uh. Clay, did you see the fight yesterday?" Nick asked, trying to think of some small talk.

"I heard about it." Clay said simply.