I'm in love with someone else...

Chapter 29

George took a deep breath and knocked. Funny to think he was here just this morning, with Nick and Clay.

Clay.

Oh my God.

He said he has to be at a meeting with the Mayor

This... this is the meeting.

George didn't have enough time to process, before the door opened and he stepped inside, his brain no longer in control of his feet.

The Mayor was sat at his desk, George could swear the man never moves from that seat. But that wasn't who George looked at.

Clay was also on the other side of the desk, but behind and to the side, almost shoved to the corner of the room. He looked slightly pale, and anxious, his leg was bouncing up and down and he was tapping his pen against a pad of paper.

His eyes met George's almost instantly, and his fidgeting stopped.

George felt the nerves start to creep in. Clay was here to watch... and Dream, well, Dream was nowhere to be found.

Guess he was alone.

"GNotFound." The mayor said. George analysed him. His neck was red, and eyes narrowed. He had tense shoulders and his hands were bunched together on the table.

He was not in a good mood.

"Sir." George replied. The mayor nodded at the chair, and George took it, agonisingly aware of the empty seat beside him.

"You've met my son." The mayor gestured to Clay. "This is good experience for him so he will be taking notes." He said. Clay stared at George, and gave him a small, tight-lipped smile. George smiled back, a genuine smile, hoping to calm him down slightly. It seemed like it worked, surprisingly, since Clay took a deep breath.

"Where is Dream?" The mayor said, taking George's attention again.

"I don't know sir."

"Don't you both usually arrive together?"

"Yes, but it's been a while and he hasn't shown up. He may not be able to come. So it's just me for now." George said. A muscle in the mayor's jaw twitched and George braced himself.

"Does he not understand the importance of this meeting?" He said.

"I'm sure he does. We both know what this is probably about. I'm sure there's a very good reason he isn't here." George said, being very careful about remaining calm. Especially in front of Clay. He didn't want him to see how harsh his father is.

The Mayor looked like he was about to say something, but changed his mind, closing his eyes for a second to control himself.

"Fine. Ok. Well let's start with the last supervillain fight." The mayor said, leaning forward in his chair, staring down at George, who nodded.

"The one who was taking people's voices."

"Yes. I want to know exactly what your thought process was for bringing the villain's main target to this mansion." He said, also surprisingly calm.

"Well, the villain knew that the target was at the station, so we needed somewhere to take her that was relatively secure. This mansion has some of the highest security." George said.

"Not enough security for a villain. If they had found out where you had taken her, they could have come and caused damaged to the mansion, and put the lives of myself, my family and my staff in danger." The mayor said.