Partners, not friends

Chapter 4

"George? Get up." Nick said, prodding the other boy on the shoulder. George lifted his head from his folded arms on the table..

"What?" He mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"You look awful." Nick said. George sent him a death glare, running a hand through his hair.

"Thanks, Nick." George said.

"Seriously, you look exhausted. Did you sleep last night?" Nick asked.

George recalled the events of last night. Him and Dream were called to help find a missing child. It wasn't like it was a physically demanding task, it just took several hours. Luckily, the young boy was found by Dream in a park. It was a weird sight for George, seeing his childish partner communicate with an actual child. Ryan was his name.

"Your mommy and daddy were very worried about you." Dream had said, holding up the four year old. Ryan giggled.

"I was chasing the kittens!" He said.

"Oh, well that's a perfectly reasonable explanation." Dream said.

"Dream!" George had scolded his partner.

"What? If I saw a kitten, I would chase it too." Dream said. George rolled his eyes and took the child, walking away from the park to the police and parents.

"You shouldn't run away from your mommy and daddy. They were very worried about you, and you could have gotten hurt." George said to the little boy. The kid just laughed, and put his hands on George's goggles, trying to move them.

"They're stuck on tight, you can't get them off." George said. Which was true, the magic binded them to his face, the only way for it to be removed was with his pendant.

The pendent which Ryan had grabbed. George pulled his hand away.

"So annoying." He muttered.

"No, it's adorable." Dream said.

"Kids are a nuisance. Screaming, crying, whinging." George said, holding the child further away at arms length so he would stop trying to grab his jewel. Dream chuckled and grabbed Ryan from George again, tipping him upside down and swinging him in the air, making the boy scream with laughter.

"They are fun." Dream smiled.

"That's because you're a child yourself." George had rebutted.

"Couldn't sleep." George said to Nick, letting his head fall back against the table.

"Well, you need to wake up, because we have to do the experiment in a few minutes, when Clay arrives." Nick said. George groaned in response.

"Hi George, hi Nick." Clay's voice was heard, and George immediately lifted his head and sat up straight, as Clay took a seat beside him.

"Great, we can do the experiment now! Well, when Mr Peterson tells us we can. I'll grab the lab coats and glasses." Nick said, leaving George with Clay for a minute.

George glanced at Clay, who gave him a smile. George sent a quick tight-lip smile back before turning red and staring at his own feet instead.

"So. Excited for the experiment?" Clay asked, tapping his pen against the table.

"Oh, um yeah, I mean, I guess um, yeah." George stammered out. I thought I was better around him now.

"I think we will get bored of it pretty quick. All we do is measure up the solutions and then count the organisms with the microscope. But we have to do a bunch of trials every day. But I'm excited, it's something new." Clay said. George nodded. Please come back Nick.