Prom

Chapter 48

"I'm going to do it." Nick said, shaking out his arms and breathing deep breaths. George patted him on the back.

"Yes you are." He said, with a confident nod.

"Do what?" Clay asked, appearing next to them.

"I'm asking Karl to prom." Nick said, taking another deep breath.

"Hell yeah." Clay slapped him on the shoulder, looking where Nick and George were. Karl was standing by his locker chatting with Niki. "Wait, as friends or more?"

"More. I'm obsessed with him." Nick said with zero hesitation, but was too nervous to care for Clay's reaction or thoughts.

"Good luck, dude." Clay grinned.

"What if he says no and spits on my face." Nick then turned to George with a frown.

"Shut up, Karl is the sweetest person ever. Just do it. Prom is literally tomorrow." George said, pushing Nick slightly forward.

Nick shook out his arms again and nodded.

"Ok." He took a step forward, stopped for a moment, and then continued walking.

Clay stepped closer to George as they watched him walk over.

"I had no clue he liked guys. Or Karl."

"Yeah. He told me last week. Said he doesn't really know his sexuality, all he knows is that he likes Karl." George shrugged. "And that was all that matters."

Clay smiled at that, but his smile slowly fell as his thoughts interfered. He remembered a conversation very similar to that, where he said those words to someone.

"Look!" George grabbed Clay's arm and pointed with his free hand.

Nick had pulled out flowers from his bag and handed them to Karl, who was grinning so wide. They couldn't hear what they were saying. The flowers were purple, and slightly squashed, but Karl took them with a hand covering his mouth to hide his blush and smile.

"Karl definitely likes him back." George whispered with a grin, his grip on Clay's forearm tightening as he focused on trying to hear. Clay glanced down at George with a small smile.

"What's happening?" Xavier walked up beside George and Clay.

"A promposal." George said, turning to glance at Xavier before looking back to see Karl hug Nick. George laughed. "That's a yes if I've ever seen one."

When the hug broke up, Nick turned to his friends and shot them a thumbs up and a grin. George responded with a similar wide smile and Clay let out a whoop.

"That is so cute." Xavier commented, and glanced down to see George still holding onto Clay's arm.

"Isn't it." George said, and then realised he was holding Clay's arm and immediately dropped it. "Sorry! I was focused." He blushed. Clay just looked down at him with a fond smile.

"I think Nick wants you." Clay said, gesturing back to their friend. Nick was staring at George and gesturing for him to hurry up.

"Yeah. We've got English. Sorry, I'll catch up with you later." George said to Clay, then turned to Xavier. "I'll see you at comp science?"

"Absolutely." Xavier smiled.

George jogged over to Nick, and hugged his excited friend who began spilling all the details as they walked down the hall.

"That was such a cute promposal. I'm glad that there is less stigma around being LGBTQIA+ at this school now. It feels like a much more welcoming place." Xavier said to Clay.