Explanation

Chapter 34

George was walking through the streets with his hands in his pockets and music playing through his earbuds. The walk from his house to Phil's store was quite long, but he couldn't drive himself either or there was a chance Dream might see his car. He could have parked elsewhere and then walked, but by that logic, he just decided that a nice walk could be enjoyable. His parents thought he was going to Nick's house.

When they went back to school, Nick had seen him and Clay run out of gym, so immediately interrogated the two of them, who explained exactly what happened, that Lexi was in trouble.

However the rest of the day felt weird. George noticed that Clay had stayed with him the whole time. In history, of course, but then also sat with George's group again during both recess breaks. He wasn't in computer science or English with George, but met him in between both classes.

George was growing suspicious. He knew exactly why Clay was doing what he was doing. Even though George had told him multiple times that he didn't need protecting, Clay still ignored him. George believe his goal was to stop random kids from bullying him.

But Clay's worries about George's safety extended beyond measly teenagers. He didn't want to leave George alone too much. If the Blade knows he cares for George, he could use it against Dream.

Not that George knows that, of course.

George arrived at Phil's at five o'clock exactly. The sign on the front said closed, but George knocked anyway. A few moments passed, before Phil eventually came over and unlocked it, letting him in.

"After the villain, I assumed you organised with Dream to meet tonight. So I closed the store a bit earlier since I had no idea what time." Phil said. George nodded, and followed him through to the back room, where Phil opened the door and let him in.

"Are your hands alright? How did that happen?" Phil asked.

"Cut it on glass before I transformed. I'm alright though." George said. Phil nodded.

"Would you like something to drink? Water, juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolate?" He asked, making small talk.

"Could I have a hot chocolate please?" George asked. He couldn't deal with coffee, it was too bitter for him. Which is strange, because unlike most teenagers, his lack of sleep wasn't due to caffeine intake.

"Sure. Also, you can transform now in case Dream joins us anytime soon." Phil said. George nodded.

"Mask on." He said, and transformed into GNotFound. Phil smiled and went to the kitchenette in the room, preparing a hot chocolate.

"What time did you tell Dream?"

"5:30."

"And you made sure no one else could have potentially heard the location?"

"Yep. Dream ate the piece of paper I gave him." George said. Phil paused and looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, I know. He's a weird guy." George said, but laughed fondly.

"I see. So how did today go?" Phil asked. George hesitated.

"It went alright. I joined a bit late because I was more concerned for my sister. But it turned out well." He avoided mentioning the whole Dream-knowing-George issue because technically GNotFound shouldn't know. And if Dream decides to tell him, Phil needed to be surprised.

"I see. Your sister is ok though?"

"She's fine."

Once Phil made the hot chocolate, he gave it to the hero and sat down opposite the couch, on his own chair with a cup of tea. And the pair sat in silence while they waited for Dream.