We've always been a team

Chapter 58

Clay was staring at his hands, seeing the plain ring on his right hand and picturing the green Emerald. Recalling what happened not too long ago.

"Phil." Clay sobbed, shaking his head. "I-I-I can't do it. The police, I... Dream needs to help the city, there's so many casualties... but I- he-"

Clay put his hands in his hair, tugging at the roots.

"Go, Clay. I'll take care of the city. You take care of your friends."

Clay let out a sob. His head was pounding. His stomach was still killing him. But he wanted nothing more than to just be Clay.

He should be Dream, to heal. He got stabbed in the stomach for God's sake, but he couldn't stand being Dream right now. He didn't want to be anything but Clay. Not when George was only George.

He was currently sitting outside the hospital, leaning against the wall. He wasn't allowed inside, no one was unless you were a severely injured patient.

And there were so many patients. So many people, and they just kept coming.

The city had set up a second location, at the elementary school that was nearby for the more minor injuries and people who were manipulated.

George was in the hospital.

"No!" Clay screamed, as someone pushed his hand away from George's. He tried to push past them, but security held him at the door. He had to watch as pale and lifeless George was wheeled away. "No! You don't understand. I h-have to be with him. You don't understand."

"Mr Block, we assure you he is in good hands-"

"You don't understand!"

Clay buried his head in his knees, trying to soften his crying. No one took notice of him, despite how busy it was outside the hospital. There were sirens everywhere coming from every direction, people trying to get into the hospital, personnel trying to sort out who needed to go where.

He just sat to the side, out of the way.

He had spent hours fighting Doomsday. Villains, manipulated people, the Blade. He had to detransform twice, was stabbed in the stomach and nearly died. He saw his city that he'd spent so much time defending, fall to pieces. He had to see one of his best friends lying on the cold ground unconscious because his Diamond bracelet had been taken. And he had to feel the love of his life's pulse slowly weaken.

He'd put blood sweat and tears into protecting this city. But no one knew that.

Right now he was just Clay, sitting outside the hospital, alone. Because his phone had died hours ago, and his two best friends were in urgent care. And no one knew he was Dream. No one knew what he had done for them. Maybe if they did, he would be allowed inside. But if they did, he would also have to go help find people and bring them here, spend more time fixing the city and taking to people.

And he had no energy left to be Dream. But he was still bleeding. At least he had healed a little bit while he was transformed, so he wasn't going to die.

Yes, it hurt, yes, he felt like he couldn't breathe in too deep, and yes, he thought he may faint at any second. But he was fine.