Damage control

Chapter 52

TW// throwing up (very brief, only two sentences near the end)

"And you don't remember anything after you got here?" Phil asked.

"Um. It's all a bit hazy, really." Clay thought about it, flexing his bandaged leg. "I remember talking to Sapnap and him carrying me. I think I vaguely remember a little bit of you talking to me but that's it."

"So nothing about how you got here?"

"No. I'm assuming Sapnap brought me. He got me here before I detransformed though, right." He asked nervously.

"Yep." Phil turned away to the sink to get a clean rag. "Sapnap had to go transform back as well. And then I had to wait half an hour until your ring went back to white and got you to transform so you can heal." Phil explained.

"And now I'm fine?" Clay asked.

"Pretty much, I think. Although you know it wasn't going to heal any injuries you didn't get in the fight."

"Yeah." Clay examined his leg. His calf was bandaged now. Phil didn't think it was broken or anything, just cut.

"What happened to your face?" Phil gestured at him.

"Oh. Um."

"Is it to do with the stories of you running away from home?" He asked knowingly.

"Sort of." Clay shrugged. "I don't... I don't want to say anything about it yet."

"That's fine. If you need anything, let me know." Phil said.

Clay just nodded. He felt simmering anger beneath his skin, itching to come to the surface. This was the man that was encouraging George to waste his life.

"If someone were to find out my identity, what would happen." Clay asked, ignoring how mad he was, because Phil couldn't know why. He certainly did not want to tell him that he found out GNotFound's identity. Although he did want to know the consequences.

Phil blinked.

"Why..? Do you... think someone knows your identity?" He asked carefully.

"No. But like. If. Say it was like... GNotFound or Sapnap. You always said we can't know. Would it be bad if we did?" He asked.

"The reason you can't know each other's identity is because if you get caught, and are forced to reveal your name and face. Then at least there is still another hero who can do something. If say, GNotFound knew your name and his, then if he gets caught, we lose you both." Phil said.

"Ok, I know that. You've explained that a lot. But what if it was unavoidable. Like if I'm stuck and detransform in front of him. Or if G would have died if I didn't transform to save him... or something." Clay asked.

Phil narrowed his eyes.

"Why are you asking?"

"I'm just wondering. Like what would you do about it?" Clay pressed further.

"I guess there's not much I can do." Phil sighed. "I would be furious if it was for a stupid reason. But if it was necessary, then obviously I can't be mad. It just makes things more difficult."

"So it's not like you'd take my jewel if I knew GNotFound's identity." Clay said.

"Should I?" Phil asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Clay blinked.

"No." He said slowly.

"What do you think would be a good idea on my part then. If I found out that you know GNotFound or Sapnap's identity, what should I do?" Phil asked curiously.