You're the smart one

Chapter 7

"Are you going to finish your breakfast?" The woman asked. Clay looked up from his food, a plate of eggs, bacon, sausages, toast. He had been playing with his food for the past few minutes, absentmindedly daydreaming.

"Is father going to join?" Clay asked, hopefully. The woman shook her head.

"The mayor has to prepare for a meeting. He said he might join you tomorrow." She said. Clay put down his fork.

"He said that yesterday, Tracy. And the day before that." He said, staring at her. She sighed, checking her phone.

"I know, Clay. But he's the mayor, he's very busy." She said. Clay stood up, pushing his chair away from the table. He walked to the door of the room, fists clenched in anger.

"Clay." He turned around one last time to look at her. She had the same neural expression on her face.

"Remember you have soccer training after school, and tutoring when you get home at 5." She said. Clay just turned around and left the room, closing the door behind him harsher than he intended.

He went to his room, which was up a few flights of stairs, and gathered all his school things into his bag.

His room was big, and he knew it was bigger than most of classmate's rooms. One side of his room had windows that had a view the city, including the town square. He was a few stories up, which definitely would make things difficult for a teenager to sneak out.

If the teenager didn't have superpowers.

Clay has managed to figure out the perfect route out of his house from his room where none of the security cameras would capture it.

There was a knock at the door, and Clay swung his bag over his shoulder, turning to face the door.

"Come in." He called, and the door opened to reveal a man. Clay sighed.

"Ok, coming Owen." He said, walking over to his chaperone. Clay always thought it was dumb how he had babysitters wherever he went. Sure, it was for safety, his father was the mayor of the city after all. But Clay was seventeen, he could take care of himself. And he was Dream, but that detail he wasn't about to share with anyone anytime soon.

He put his headphones in on the drive to school. Him and his sister were always dropped off at school early, so Clay had time to fill. Drista got permission to get breakfast with her friends every morning, since she was only a sophomore and didn't have as big of a workload. But Clay was supposed to go to the library and do work like instructed.

And sure, Clay was behind on his school work, since he didn't have as much time as usual, what with his basically full-time job. But he liked going on a walk before school, it refreshed his mind.

When he got dropped off, him and Drista thanked Owen.

"See you later loser." Drista said, before walking off towards the cafe near the school. Clay gave her a small wave before feigning the walk to the school entrance. But once the car had driven away, he abruptly turned and started walking down the street.

He didn't walk too far, just around the block and nearby streets. There were a lot of interesting stores he has passed, and occasionally he's entered some out of curiosity.

He remembered walking along this one street where he had run into George, his classmate. Well, Clay was hoping for a friendship with him, and Nick too. He liked his current friends, Wilbur, Niki, Fundy and Karl. And they were super nice and welcoming to him. But he always felt like a little bit of an outsider to the group, having joined it only this year.