Just in case

Chapter 54

"What do you want?" Nick gritted his teeth, arms crossed against his chest as he glared at GNotFound.

"I don't... I don't want anything, I just..." G was shifting nervously. He sighed and pulled out the bracelet from his pocket, holding it out towards Nick.

Nick didn't move, just stared at the hero with a tense expression.

"I thought I wasn't good enough." Nick said.

"No, you are good enough. This wasn't because of you. It was me and my issues." G said, holding it out further. Nick still didn't take it. "You can have it back. I'm sorry I took it away."

"Why? Why did you take it? Why are you giving it back? I still don't trust you." Nick said, making no move to even look at the bracelet.

"I didn't want you to ruin your life. My Sapphire has changed everything, and I've lost so much. It's fucked up my sleep, it makes it difficult to see my friends and family. I live every second on edge for an alert. I hold too many secrets in my brain that I feel guilty even being with my friends. I lie to everyone, I forget who I am. I didn't want that for you." G said.

"Why do you even care?" Nick scoffed.

"Because you're Nick." G said softly. "I didn't want this for you."

"You know me? Who are you?" Nick said, arms lowering off his chest and tense expression dropping to stare at the limited features of the heroes face.

"I can't tell you."

"How did you figure out who I was?"

"You said you were best friends with George Davidson and Clay Block. It wasn't hard to figure it out from there." George said, sighing.

"Oh." Nick winced. "I didn't mean to say that. Maybe... maybe I shouldn't have the Diamond." He sighed.

"What?" George held the Diamond tightly. "Why not?"

"I gave away my identity. I fucked up in the fight the other day, and Dream nearly died. I'll just mess up more. Plus you know who I am. And you said it yourself, I don't deserve it." Nick pursed his lips and shrugged.

G reached forward and grabbed Nick's hand, pulling his wrist forward and clasping the bracelet onto it. The jewel disappeared as the clasp closed, returning to its blank state.

"This is the jewel of dependability and trust. I don't know anyone more worthy of it than you. You're the most loyal and dependable person I know, I trust you with my life. Maybe you've made mistakes, but so have I. That's how we learn. If I took your Diamond because you've made some mistakes, then I would be a hypocrite and should give up my jewel too." G held the bracelet onto Nick's wrist as he spoke.

Nick glanced down at the bracelet, realising how much he missed the feeling on his wrist.

"I took it because I wanted to protect you, from this world. I wanted you to live your life. I didn't want you anywhere close to the fighting. But I realised it's not my choice. It's yours. And L gave you a choice, so it's up to you. I shouldn't take away your bracelet just because I didn't get a choice."

"How do you know me? Why do you care? Who are you?" Nick had so many people in his life, and he wasn't sure who would care this much.

"You know I can't say." G whispered.

"If someone had taken your Sapphire, say it was Dream or L. Would you want it back?" Nick asked.

This made G let go of his wrist, hand going to touch his pendent.