You wouldn't understand

Chapter 42

Two boys sprinted into the hospital at the exact same time, slamming open the doors and running to the reception.

They didn't even notice each other until the receptionist looked between them.

Clay and Nick turned to each other

"Nick?"

"Clay?"

"Are you here to see George?" They asked at the same time.

"Obviously." Nick chuckled. "We both knew it was him on the news because we literally saw him get yeeted away from the school." He said, looking at Clay as he spoke. He cleared his throat and turned back to the receptionist. Clay stared at his friend. Why did he sound so suspicious when he said that.

"Can we see George Davidson. We are his friends." Nick spoke for them both.

"I'll go check with him and his father." The nurse said, and got up to leave.

Nick and Clay remained standing to the side while they waited.

"He literally almost died." Nick said in shock. Clay swallowed and nodded.

"Yeah." He croaked out. "He nearly did."

"Thank god Dream saved him." Nick said.

"Yeah."

More silence.

The nurse returned and motioned for them to follow. They eagerly did, and were lead to one of the private recovery rooms.

They entered and immediately saw George lying propped up against the top half of the bed. He was holding something in his mouth with a bandaged hand, and looking at his dad who was sitting beside him.

But when the two teenagers entered, George looked up with wide eyes, and Clay and Nick both immediately ran over and hugged George at the same time. Mark moved away with a chuckle.

"Holy crap. You're ok." Nick said. Clay pulled away first. George pulled the thing out of his mouth, which was an ice block

"He's been instructed not to talk to much. He should keep his tongue still so it can heal quicker. A cold press every so often, and salt rinses after every meal." The nurse explained.

"What happened to his tongue?" Nick asked.

"Bit it apparently." Mark said. "Quite hard. He thinks it happened when they smashed through the window." He said. George nodded, knowing it wasn't true. Clay knew it wasn't true either.

"And his hand?" Nick asked.

"Also a bite mark. George claimed it was a nervous habit while he was waiting for paramedics." Mark said, sounding less sure of the reason, but George just nodded again.

"So you can't talk?" Nick said, a smile creeping onto his face. George's face slowly turned into a scowl.

"Until tomorrow. It's just to rest his tongue." The nurse said.

"So I can say whatever I want and he has no comeback." Nick said, with glee. George elbowed him in the stomach and he winced. "Right. Remind me only to do then when I'm far away from the bed." Nick added.

"I'm glad you're ok, George." Clay said softer than Nick, and George turned to him with pink cheeks and a small smile. He looked down and grabbed Clay's hand, giving it a squeeze. He grabbed Nick's too and squeezed it as well, looking between his friends.

"Thanks for standing in front of me." George whispered. Mark immediately scolded him for talking, but Clay and Nick just smiled. Nick ruffled George's hair and Clay adjusted their hand grip so their fingers were intertwined.