Chapter 25:

The gladers exited the building with Brenda and Jorge leading and moved along the walls of the structure until they reached the back. There was an entrance to some kind of underground system, perhaps. They bounced down the stairs until they reached a small doorway, and then went inside. A threshold. It was a small, damp room full of boxes and cans, with a single lightbulb hanging from the center of the ceiling.

“You and the others can stay out there in the hallway and sit. I’ll start bringing out some food for you in a second.”

The food ended up being canned beans and some type of sausage—but it didn’t matter. After Brenda passed out the food to the starving Gladers, she walked over to sit by Thomas.

She opened her mouth to speak but Thomas beat her to it.

‘’ What can you tell me about cranks?’’

‘’A Crank is a slang term for someone who has been infected by the Flare virus. There are different levels of Cranks. At first they are still capable of speech and can wield weapons quite manageably, although to some extent of hysteria but by the time they  a Crank who known to be past the "Gone" is when they have generally begun to lose their sanity.’’

‘’What-‘’

It all happened so fast. Thomas was going to asked if she knew anything about a cure when a crash exploded down the hall. He saw Minho and Newt and all the others running back toward the destroyed stairs. He reacted fast and stands up. He started towards the direction his friends had taken when an entire section of the roof came crashing down onto the floor in front of him.

‘’Thomas!’’ he felt Brenda grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him back.

He stared wide eyed at the piece of roof.

 Blocks of cement falling on top of each other; a cloud of dust fogged its way toward them.