Chapter 46:

When they started going up the steep slope, Aris grip in Thomas’s arm tightened pulling him forward in a harsh tug.

Thomas hands were tied in front of him and somehow he thought his wrist was broken.

‘’Once we reach that crevice up there, we’ll be out of sight, and they’ll never find us after that. Even if they do follow.”

They picked their way through boulders and around dead trees, going up and up and up. The trudge up the mountain went on for maybe an hour—and it had been at least twice that long since they’d left the Gladers.

Aris stopped and before Thomas could catch his breath he threw him to the ground throwing up a dust cloud.

‘’Was that really necessary?’’ He said irritated, coughing up the sand that had made its way into his lungs.

Aris stood over him and put his foot on his chest, hold him down to the ground.

‘’Do me a favor and shut up!’’ Aris took his foot off of his chest and sat down cross-legged in front of him without taking his eyes off of him for a second. He set his backpack down in front of him and took out a can of beans. Thomas just stood there looking at him.

Soon Aris was getting up and collecting his things. They started making their way through the dark pass of the mountains.

After another hour or so of traveling, they came across a cave, with a dull light source shining from deep inside.

“Well, we’re here. Now, you should understand that I’m only doing this because I am willing to do whatever it takes to pass the Trials’’

Aris walked across the cave with Thomas in front of him, Thomas aware the whole time of the knife pointed at his back. He reached a stone wall, and started punching a finger on what had to be some sort of keypad.

Thomas looked back at Aris. 

“Let’s get this over with.” Aris waved his blade, indicating that Thomas should enter.

But Thomas didn’t move. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Alex creeping up behind Aris.

‘’Well you should understand that I’m only doing this because I don’t want to die’’

Without any warning, Alex snuck behind Aris and knocked him out cold.