Chapter 12:

The man let out a sigh as he pulled his crossed feet from the desk and let them drop to the floor. He looked up at Thomas.

"Didn't your friends tell you? We still have forty-seven minutes before I've been authorized to implement Phase Two of the Trials. Please show your patience and leave me alone.'' he leaned back in his chair and returned his feet to the desktop.

Frustrated, Thomas moved to the left, then the right, feeling along the unseen yet solid wall. It spanned the entire room; there was no way to approach the stranger.

"Why do you need that wall!" Thomas shouted.

"You met our new friend? Rat Man?" He noticed Minho making his way towards him.

"Rat Man?" Thomas repeated. Actually, He looked exactly like a rat. Like the human version of a rat.

"Come on. You need to eat, he's not going to talk after forty-seven minutes''
Pushing it all away, Minho dragged him over to the food.

Another apple. An orange. A bag of mixed nuts, then a chewy bar of granola and raisins.

Thomas stood, relishing the feel of a full stomach. Newt whispered. "I think it's time."

Thomas looked over to see that the stranger-Rat Man- started going through the drawers of the desk. Finally, he pulled out a manila folder full of papers.

''Please listen carefully. I represent a group called WICKED," Rat Man continued. "It stands for World In Catastrophe, Killzone Experiment Department. We have resources never known to any group of any kind in the history of civilization. Nearly unlimited money, unlimited human capital and technology advanced beyond even the most clever man's wants and wishes. We exist for one purpose and one purpose only: to save the world from catastrophe. You here are a vital part of it. You are solely for the purpose of judging and analyzing your responses. And yet it's not really an experiment as much as it is ... constructing a blueprint. Stimulating the kill zone and collecting the resultant patterns, putting them all together to achieve the greatest breakthrough in the history of science and medicine. These situations inflicted upon you are called the Variables. These trials you're going through are for a very important cause. And as you make your way through the Trials, you have seen and will continue to see evidence of this technology and the resources behind it. If I can tell you anything today, it is that you should never, ever believe your eyes. Or your mind, for that matter. All I will say is that sometimes what you see is not real, and sometimes what you do not see is real. We can manipulate your brains and nerve receptacles when necessary. '' The man's eyes flickered to Thomas.

Thomas thought hard about it. So that must explain Alex voice and the display at Ari's room. This is why they did the demonstration with bricked-up windows!

''The Maze was a part of the Trials. About sixty people were sent to live in the Glade. Well, your Glade. Another sixty in Group B, but for now we'll forget them."

Rat Man quickly stood up from his chair and placed his hands on the desk and leaned toward the Gladers.

"Phase One, to be exact. And now it's time for Phase Two.''