Chapter 13:

“As you already know, sun flares have ravaged many parts of the earth. Also, a disease unlike any other—a disease called the Flare, has been ravaging the earth’s people. And...each one of you has already caught the virus.

After that everyone start talking and asking questions at the same time. But Rat Man continued ignoring everyone’s comments.

 ‘’The Flare takes a while to set in and show symptoms. And at the end of these Trials, the cure will be your reward…’’

Suddenly the room fell in silence.

 “Phase Two. The Scorch Trials. It begins tomorrow morning at six o’clock. You’ll enter this room, and in the wall behind me you will find a Flat Trans. It will appear as a shimmering wall of gray. Each of you must step through it by five minutes after the hour. The rules are very simple. Find your way to open air, then head due north for one hundred miles. Make it to the safe haven within two weeks’ time and you’ll have completed Phase Two. At that point, you’ll be cured of the Flare. If you don’t make it, eventually you’ll end up dead.”

 Rat Man stood, turned away and started walking toward the wall.

‘’Good luck to all of you.”

 The invisible wall started to fog up, whitening to an opaque blur in a matter of seconds. And then the whole thing disappeared.

 “What’s a Flat Trans?”