Chapter 26

Okay! So, I guess I'll just stick to the books :)

...
"We have to follow my fr-"

''No! There's no time for that!''

"What? What about my friends?'' Thomas worried about the Gladers. What if-? What if some of them get captured? Or killed?

She didn't say anything; just lead him out of there. And Thomas let her lead him. But he didn't see or notice whatever words she was mouthing at him.

"Huh?"

She sighed and stepped closer to him, grabbing both of his hands in hers.

"Uh ... Brenda?" he asked.

"Yeah Thomas?"

"What are you doing?" He wiggled his hands from her grip and cleared his throat. He's suddenly hit with a heavy wave of guilt. Alex.

''What do you mean?''

"Nothing, we-we need to go back and find my friends."

''Why don't we leave all of them? Make it to this safe haven place on our own?"

She can't be serious.

''You can't be serious''

Thomas couldn't believe Brenda had just suggested that. He turned around and started walking in the direction from which they'd had come until they reached the place of the explosion. Huge chunks of rock blocked the way to where the stairs had been-and it looked like nobody was there. Thomas had no idea what to do next.

"We have to go through the Underneath" Brenda said.

"The Underneath?" he repeated.

''A bunch of tunnels and secret passages connect the buildings on this side of town, maybe across the whole city.''

"Okay," was all he said.