Chapter 8:

The words from the tattoo kept popping up in his mind. Each time, he tried to push them away. Things couldn’t get any better. First the label and then this.  He was actually trying to decide whether he was more confused or scared when a clanging bell began ringing throughout the room. He instinctively put his hands to his ears and looked around at the others.

Newt grabbed his arm, shouted in his ear. “It’s the bloody Newbie alarm!”

Minho had walked over to the door.

“Wait!” Thomas shouted on impulse.

“Why?” Minho asked, his hand still hovering just inches from the door.

“I don’t know,” Thomas replied, not sure if he could even be heard over the clanging sounds. “It’s an alarm. Maybe something really bad is happening.”

“Yeah!” Minho yelled back. “And maybe we need to get out of here!” He said pushing the door open with one foot.

As soon as they stepped outside in the hallway the alarm stopped.

“Hey,” Winston said. “Those crazy people quit screaming and yelling. I thought we just couldn’t hear them from Aris’s room.’’

Soon everyone was running for the dorm room.

Now at each window, a red brick wall had been erected just outside the iron bars, completely blocking every inch of open space.

‘’What’s going on here?”