Chapter 38:

When the first traces of dawn turned the sky into a mix between orange and pink, Thomas and the others decided to continue their journey. A couple of hours seemed to have passed and the mountains were starting to peek up ahead just a few hundred feet away.

Thomas didn't noticed Brenda by his side until she spoke:

" How's your shoulder been? Do you still have pain?"

"Feels really good, actually-aches a little, but not much. Hard to believe I was hurtin' so bad before."

"I was really worried" She admitted.

"I'm fine but if you want, you can now cry on my shoulder"

She punched him in the arm-luckily his good one. "I'm serious..."

The two nodded, clearing their throats and looking away to watch their path.

"So, um, I'm sorry about what happened-"

She looked over at him, "Thomas?"

"Yeah?"

"Say you're sorry again and I'll dislocate your shoulder. Then I'll fix it"

Thomas eye's widened at her response and when he didn't answer immediately Brenda started laughing at his reaction

"You're just kidding, right?" Thomas begin to laugh as well.

"Oh no, I'm quite serious" Brenda said in a mock-joking voice as they continued to laugh.

"Well you-Alex?" he trailed off when he suddenly stopped dead in his tracks.

"Alex?" Now, Brenda's laugh suddenly died down and confusion filled her features.

His eyes were glued in front of him, and he felt his heart pounding against his chest. His breathing caught up and he only prayed his eyes weren't playing tricks on him...again.

A couple of feet away, Alex had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

He'd never thought he'd ever see her again.

This time, her brown eyes sparkled in the sun rays, her long brown hair was flowing in the wind, and her usual smile was there.

Thomas felt his heart beam and a smile slowly crept to his lips.

Alex's smile grew and she nodded.

Atonished, Thomas started making his way slowly towards her.

Minho and Newt, her other two friends, were watching, amazed.

Hey shanks!! Alex's finally here! Again! I've been waiting for this moment since the last time Thomas and Alex saw each other. Now, the real adventure begins...