Chapter 6:

It was a boy.

"Who are you?" Thomas asked, not caring that the words sounded harsh.

"Who am I?" the boy responded, somewhat sarcastically. "Who are you?" Then folded his arms, a defiance coming over his whole body.

Newt had taken a step forward. ''Don't bloody mess around. Tell us who you are."

"Fine. My name's Aris. What else you wanna know?"

Newt shrugged slightly "Who put you in here?"

"I don't even know, man. A bunch of people with guns who rescued us-''

"Rescued you from what?" Thomas asked.

''From the Maze, man. From the Maze."

''What?'' Minho said. "Talk, Aris. Tell us everything."

Aris shook his head. "No way. You guys go first. Who are you guys? Where'd you come from?"

"Yeah?" Minho responded. "How about we all just take turns beating the living klunk out of your shuck face? Then we'll ask you to talk again."

Aris let out a sigh. "I was thrown into this gigantic maze made out of huge stone walls, my memory was erased. I couldn't remember anything. I lived there with a bunch of girls. I was the only boy. We escaped a few days ago-''

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Minho was saying even before Aris had finished

Sounds of surprise came from the other Gladers.

"Wait a minute," Newt exchanged a glance with Thomas. "You lived in a big maze, on a farm, where walls closed every night? Just you and a few dozen girls? Were there creatures called Grievers?''

"It's the same shuck experiment," Minho said.

"Or same ... whatever. But they had all girls and one boy, we had all boys and one girl. WICKED must've built two of those mazes, run two different tests!" Thomas exclaimed.

"Well, how'd you end up with us?" Newt asked. "Where are all these girls you keep talking about? How many of them escaped with you? Did they bring all of you here or just you?"

"Look," the boy said. "I'm just as confused as everyone else. About thirty of us survived, they took us to that gym, fed us, cleaned us up. Then they brought me to this place last night, saying I should be separate since I'm a guy. That's it. Then you sticks show up."

Looks like both groups had come up with their own vocabulary.