Chapter 23:

Thomas got up you quickly and asked  “How many of you are here?”

Jorge laughed. ‘’Sit down, hermano’’

“How many of you are here?” Thomas repeated, but this time louder.

Then ropes appeared, dangled over the sides of the jagged holes and Cranks slid down them and landed squarely on their feet.

They quickly gathered in a pack behind their leader, there were maybe fifteen of them. Men and woman. Disadvantage.  

“Sit down,” Jorge said.

Thomas nodded and sat back down besides Minho.

‘’I want to know everything about you. Where you came from, why you’re here, Now.”

Minho let out a low chuckle. ‘’Maybe you should start talking’’

Thomas cursed quietly and really wished Minho hadn’t said that. Jorge just looked at Minho for a long time. Thomas feared that he will screw something up and end up dead.

“Listen,” Thomas said, slowly getting to his feet. ‘’We’re valuable. If you kill us-‘’

Jorge did laugh at that, ‘’ yeah, if I kill you I’ll be able to eat your eyes out. I love a good eyeball when the grub’s running’ short. Just keep going”

‘’Look, I don’t know all the details, but we’re valuable. Alive, not dead.'' He sighed. ''A guy, he set a mission for us, to survive long enough to make it one hundred miles to the north, to a place he referred to as the safe haven. They told us we have the Flare. And that if we make it to the safe haven, we’ll all be cured. So there must be something special about us”

“What’s your name?”

 ‘’It’s Thomas.’’

“Okay, Thomas. What makes you think they have a cure? Do you have the slightest idea of what the Flare does to people?’’

“No.”

 ‘’No? Okay. Madness, nonsense, insanity.  It slowly eats away at the brain, and eventually people lose their sanity. There is no cure, Thomas’’