Chapter 29:

The Crank charge at him at full-speed but Brenda moved so fast that in a flash she took the knife from the floor and jumped in front of Thomas plunging the knife into the Crank’s heart.

She let go of the knife's handle and watched his body fell backwards and hit the ground with a loud thud.

Thomas took a slight step backwards. It all happened so fast.

“You didn't have to kill him. We could have run away…’’ His eyes are still in the body.

“We need to go”

He lifted up his eyes and couldn’t believe how unaffected she was. ‘’You-‘’

‘’Not my first dead body’’ She told him.

They found themselves out of the Underneath and inside a rusted truck.

“You killed that guy,” he whispered.

“Yeah’’ Brenda responded, “Otherwise he would’ve killed you.’’

“I know,” he finally responded.

After a long silence, Thomas spoke again ‘’ I have a question. Do you know anything about a cure?’’

‘’ They call it the Bliss. It just keeps the Flare at bay. If there’s not a lot of activity, the virus weakens’’

“So … it’s not a cure? Even though it slows the virus down?”

“Uh-huh”

‘’But…’’ He was going to ask her something else but when he looked over at Brenda; she was sleeping soundly next to him. He took a moment to study Brenda’s sleeping features. . It was so calm and serene. Watching her chest rising and falling with every breath she takes.

Thomas leaned farther back in his chair, putting his hands behind his head, as he let out a sigh. He couldn't sleep anyways. 

He took a look at his surrounding area, when he saw something on the wall of the alley. His eyebrows furrow slightly as he tries to focus on what caught his attention.

A large metal plaque, riveted to the wall.

He pushed the door open and stumbled out onto the street and over to it.

"Hmm?" Brenda asked somewhat sleepy as she noticed Thomas getting out of the truck. She pressed herself up into a sitting position and looked out the front windshield.

Thomas was just standing there looking at the plaque. It was nearly identical to the sign in the Maze that had said:

WORLD IN CATASTROPHE—KILLZONE EXPERIMENT DEPARTMENT.  

Same dull metal, same lettering. Except that this one said something very different.

It said: THOMAS,YOU’RE THE REAL LEADER