Part 15

Finally, we arrive home. Peter and I haven't talked since the accident. We're all sitting outside of the school, waiting for someone to pick us up. I see a young woman with dark brown hair and brown eyes goes up to Peter. I watch her as she embraces him into a hug. I couldn't tell if it was his mom or who. She grabs his face and hugs him again. I'm the last one to get picked up. I get in the car and see Happy.

"Hey, kid." Happy says.

"Hey," I reply. We drive home. Once we get there, I get out of the car and head to the tower. I walk inside and it's quiet. All the lights are off but in the living room. I go in there and I see my dad.

"Dad..." I say.

"How was the trip kid?"

"It was go-"

"You know, since you didn't listen to me. And you also hurt yourself doing something I specifically told you not to do." He said, sounding angry.

"How did you know?" I ask. He scoffs.

"The news. Also, F.R.I.D.A.Y. sent me your vitals." He answered. With tears in my eyes, I apologize.

"I'm sorry. I just..."

"You just what? Callie, you could've seriously been hurt. You could've gotten killed. And you also missed the Decathlon. You've been looking forward to that."

"I wanted to make sure Peter was going to be okay. I didn't want him to get in trouble again. He hasn't talked to me since." A tear rolls down my cheek. My dad walks up to me and hugs me. I cry into his chest. I wanted to stop but I didn't. And he didn't stop hugging me.

"I missed you." I say, still sobbing. I was home. Finally.

Monday

I walked into school, not ready to face everyone after I missed the Decathlon. I couldn't sleep the night before, because I had a horrible dream. The TV in the hallway was on. Almost everyone was around it, watching. Jason and Betty were both on the screen.

"This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team defeated the country's best to win the national championship. Later that day, they also defeated death." Jason says. On the TV is shows my fellow classmates taking about what happened at the Washington Monument.

"Explosion. Sally scream. Flash scream.
Everybody screamin'." Abe says.

"There were purple lasers and smoke everywhere, it was..." there was a bleep as where Charles cussed. "...just like a non Jovi concert."

"As you know, we made it our alive, and that's the important thing. I couldn't bear to lose a student on a school trip. Not again," Mr. Harrington says into the mic. Jason and Betty come back onto the screen.

"Thankfully, no one was seriously injured, thanks to the Spider-Man." Jason says.

"Thank you, Spider-Man," Jason and Betty say together, awkwardly.

"Up next: The Spider-Man mania is sweeping the school. How can you show your spider spirit?" Jason asks. Just then, Peter walks by. My attention goes from the TV to him. I leave the group of people around the TV and follow Peter. I see him stop in the hallway to talk to Ned. I walk over there and tap on Peter's shoulder. He turns around.