Part 21

Waking up early for another day at school is not what I wanted to do. Even if I healed up the cut on my head, it still hurt. Walking into the school, I saw Liz at the end of the hallway talking to Peter, tears falling down her face. She said something and walked away from him. I quickly run after her. I tapped her shoulder and she turned around. She wiped several tears from her face.

"Hey," she says, quietly.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah...I guess." She sighed. "My mom's making us move to Oregon. My dad doesn't want us there for the trial."

"I'm sorry, Liz."

"It's okay. She says it's nice there, so."

"Look...I just want you to know that...I just wanted to thank you for helping me with everything. You're truly my best friend, Liz." A small smile goes across her face and a tear slips from her eye. We hug each other for a long time. I honestly didn't want to let go. After we let go, she grabbed her stuff and walked down the hallway. I took a deep breath in. I turned back around and walked back down the hallway. I see Peter at his locker so I go and surprise him. I slowly creep up to him and tap his shoulder. Shocked, Peter turns around to see me. A smile comes across his face and he hugs me. I giggle and hug him back. Feeling his arms around my waist made me blush. My arms wrap around his neck, making him bend down a little more towards me. Once I let go of him, he lets go of me. We're both smiling.

"Hey." He says.

"Hi, what's up?"

"Just talking to the most perfect girl in the world."

"Telling you one thing right now, I'm not perfect." We both laugh and go to class together.

After School

We had a Decathlon meeting today since Liz left. We need to find a new team captain. We all met in the library. I sat by MJ and Peter sat in front of me. Mr. Harrington came in and sat our trophy on the table.

"Congratulations, Decathlon national champions." He says. We all cheer and clap our hands for ourselves. "I'm gonna have to put this back in the trophy case soon, but just for motivation right now at this practice. I'm a little ahead of the game, but we will need a new team captain new year. So I'm appointing..." He does a little drum roll with his fingers, "Michelle!" We all turn towards her and clap our hands. A smile peers across her face.

"Uh, thank you. My friends call me MJ."

"I thought you didn't have any friends," says Ned. I kick him under the table. "Ow!"

"I didn't," she turns and looks at me. A phone rings and it's Peter's.

"I...I gotta go."

"Hey, where you going?" MJ asks, curious. Peter just stands there, looking for a lie. "What are you hiding, Peter?" His eyes grow big and mine do too. He starts to talk, but nothing comes out of his mouth. Then she starts to smile. "I'm just kidding. I don't care. Bye. All right," she says to us, "so we should run some drills."

"Yeah." Says Ned. Peter walks off. After Decathlon practice, I get a ride from Happy. But as soon as I get out of the car, he leaves.

"Okay...bye." I walk into my new home, that's upstate, and I see my dad. He tells me that Peter's coming over. Of course, I get happy. I wait with my dad for his arrival. Then Happy's car pulls up again.