CHAPTER 36

Amanda's POV

I'm staring at the invitation that I got from Solstice. It's a year-end party and everyone is invited to come, including the ones who used to work there.

I'm still thinking about ditching it if it weren't for Ares.

Ares...

I'm having a hard time right now and it can be seen from the bags under my eyes. I also lost weight because of the stress that I'm going through. Apparently, the hate messages didn't stop and I'm still receiving them. I even saw a tabloid about the issue and it's taking a toll on me.

I cannot deny the fact that Ares already grew on me. I want to welcome him in my life and be happy but I don't want him to carry the burden that I'm having. He's a busy man with lots of responsibilities and I don't want to be a hindrance because of my state.

I wiped my tears while putting on my dress.

Tonight, I'll settle it all for once.

I looked at the ring that Ares gave me. It shouldn't have been me in the first place...

When I arrived at the venue, I was immediately welcomed by Ares and his smile gives warmth to my cold soul. I still feel bad that he fell for someone like me.

"I'm glad you made it, amore. You look gorgeous." he kissed me on my cheeks and introduced me to his fellow businessmen like he always does.

"There's a lot of people in here." I said while looking around.

"Yeah, most of them are partners of Solstice. They look forward to this year-end celebration like it's some kind of tradition." he chuckles. "Anyway, would you like something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." tumango sya bago kami naglakad papuntang table.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. I pressed my lips to suppress my tears from falling. I want to tell him that I'm not fine, but I don't want him to worry.

"I'm...good."

"You sure?" maybe it's because we've known each other for a couple of months now, and Ares is good at reading people...so he can see through me. No matter how much I try to hide my emotion, he still managed to see through it, he just doesn't want to push it.

"Yes." tumango sya at napatingin sa likod nya nang may kumausap sa kanyang katrabaho nya.

I roamed my eyes around when I saw Emerald on the other side of the room. She looks elegant in that dress and I have to agree with what everyone says that she's the perfect woman for Ares. I've heard they know each other for a long time now and she seems nice. Some of them said she'd make a perfect bride for him and I couldn't agree more.

Compared to me, she's a much better choice.

Maya maya pa ay nagsimula na ang program and everyone's having fun. My hands are sweating because of anxiety and I can't focus completely because I can feel their stares on me. They're probably wondering what I'm doing here.

Right. What am I doing here?

"I'll go to the powder room for a bit." paalam ko kay Ares.

"I'll go with you---"

"I'll be quick." I said without looking back at him.

When I went inside the powder room, I burst into tears and hold my mouth to keep the sound from escaping.

Any minute now, it'll be over. I don't know if I'll be happy or regret it. I don't have any idea what the future holds but all I know, I'm doing this for the both of us.