CHAPTER 44

Ares' POV

I'm on my way home and the traffic is surprisingly not bad. I just got off from work and it's already 11pm.

Dahil di naman traffic, maayos ang naging byahe ko. I looked outside the window and the city lights are all over the place. Binaba ko ang bintana ko at naramdaman ko ang lamig ng hangin.

Funny to think that the coldness of the air reminds me of Amanda. She's like an ice longing for the fire. I know she's in a cold place where she thinks it's where she belongs, when in fact...she needs someone to warm her soul, to get her out of that place.

But I cannot force her to open up for me. In the end, it's still her decision and I'm just a person who happens to be a chapter in her life, who happens to fell in love with her.

I looked up at the sky and I remembered how she love the stars. She may not have noticed it, pero tuwing magkasama kami, maging sa penthouse man o sa office, kapag sumapit ang gabi, lagi syang tumitingala sa taas at pinagmamasdan ang mga bituin.

She doesn't have any idea that she's shining brighter than those stars.

At times like this, I can't stop thinking about her so I pulled over to the bridge where least cars are passing by. I got out of the car and stood by the bridge, looking at the river.

I put my hands in my pocket nang makapa ko ang phone ko. I don't know but I have this feeling that I need to check something, even though I'm not expecting someone.

When I opened my Telegram, my eyes widened when I saw her message...once again, after all this time.

I quickly opened and read what she sent me.

'He's the stars in the midnight sky
Endlessly shining in the darkness
Let him wonder when he asked why
Patiently I will wait to stop this madness'

My brows furrowed while wondering what's the context behind this message. Paulit ulit ko yong binasa pero hindi ko maisip kung bakit nya ako minessage ng ganto.

I look through my phone and my heart is beating fast when I saw a voicemail...and it comes from her.

She never calls out for someone...

I pressed the 'play' button and put the speaker on my ear.

(Hey Ares, it's me, Amanda...)

Her voice hits different on the other line. Her voice sounds like she's struggling to speak.

I know she's got a trauma but...why did she decided to call all of a sudden?

There's a long silence before she continues to talk.

(I'm sorry for the pain that I've caused you. I didn't mean to hurt you in that way. It's just that...things are going rough for me and I don't want you to get involved in the life that I have...)

Her voice starts to crack and it's getting harder to hear what she's saying.

(I don't want to be selfish so I've set you free. But I want you to know that I'm thankful because I got to know you, even in a short period of time. You made me feel the warmth when I'm standing in this cold and dark place that I've been into. Continue to give your warmth to those who needed it...)

Why is she saying all of these things? Why does it sounds like she's...she's...

(I'm sorry again if I called you during this time. I tried to face my trauma...because I want to talk to you for one last time...)